CIRCUIT ANALYSIS: 3 Resistors, 3 Voltage Src, 1 Current Src - Find v1, v2, v3

In summary: V as the answer.In summary, the circuit is solved using KVL and KCL to find the node voltages V1, V2, and V3. The value of V2 is determined to be 12V with respect to the chosen reference node. The potential difference between V2 and the reference node is 12V.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Find the node voltages [itex]V_1[/itex] through [itex]V_3[/itex] in the circuit below.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2240/chapter3problem328an.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL, KVL, V = i R, super-node

The Attempt at a Solution

I added 5 currents and 2 KVL loops.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3699/chapter3problem32part24yt.jpg

[tex]V_2\,=\,42\,V[/tex] <----- Right?

Now I do KVL loop 1

[tex](-12\,V)\,+\,(20\,V)\,+\,V_3\,=\,0\,\,\longrightarrow\,\,V_3\,=\,-8\,V[/tex]

And KVL at loop 2

[tex](-20\,V)\,+\,(10\,V)\,+\,(V_1\,-\,V_3)\,=\,0\,\,\longrightarrow\,\,V_1\,-\,V_3\,=\,10\,V[/tex]

[tex]V_1\,-\,(-8\,V)\,=\,10\,\,\longrightarrow\,\,V_1\,=\,2\,V[/tex]

Does that seem right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think you meant V2=12V. otherwise correct

What about the 10 V and the 20 V that are also connected to node [itex]V_2[/itex]?

your statement represents a common mistake/misconception about circuit theory... when we talk about V2 we actually mean V2 with respect to (w.r.t.) the ground we are chosen (that's why I say this all the time), because if you choose a different ref node, value of V2 can change. For example, if you choose V3 to be your ref node (ie. ground), then V2 will have the value of 20V.
you get V2=12V for this daigram because, you see that the potential difference between V2 and ref node is V2-0 = 12 so V2 =12.
Now, you could also say
V2-V3=20 => V2 = 20+V3 (with V3 still unknown as this stage)
or
V2-V1=10 => V2 = 10+V1 (V1 too is unknown)

note that they never quite "add together", in fact if V1 and V3 are connected directed to ground, you have an inconsistent circuit...because all sources in circuit theory are assumed to be ideal.

anyway, if you sub V1, V3 you calculated into those equations above, you will find that all gives V2=12

What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of using mathematical and theoretical techniques to analyze and solve problems related to electrical circuits.

What are resistors, voltage sources, and current sources?

Resistors are electrical components that resist the flow of current in a circuit. Voltage sources are components that provide a fixed amount of voltage to a circuit. Current sources are components that provide a fixed amount of current to a circuit.

How many resistors, voltage sources, and current sources are involved in this circuit analysis problem?

This circuit analysis problem involves 3 resistors, 3 voltage sources, and 1 current source.

How do you find v1, v2, and v3 in this circuit analysis problem?

To find v1, v2, and v3, you need to apply Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's law to the circuit. You can also use techniques such as nodal analysis or mesh analysis to solve the problem.

Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. This knowledge is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic devices.