1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CIRCUIT ANALYSIS: Use superposition to find the current I

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use superposition to find I in the circuit below.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

KCL, KVL, Super-position principle, V = i R

3. The attempt at a solution

I turn only one source on at a time and solve for [itex]I_1[/itex] through [itex]I_3[/itex].

[​IMG]

Expressing the currents in terms of node voltages:

[tex]I_1\,=\,\frac{V_2}{3}\,\,&\,\,I_2\,=\,\frac{V_1}{2}\,\,&\,\,I_3\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{1}\,\,&\,\,I_4\,=\,\frac{V_1}{4}[/tex]

KCL @ V1) [tex]I_2\,+\,I_3\,+\,I_4\,=\,-2\,\longrightarrow\,7\,V_1\,-\,4\,V_2\,=\,-8[/tex]

KCL @ V2) [tex]I_3\,+\,2\,=\,I_1\,\longrightarrow\,3\,V_1\,-\,4\,V_2\,=\,-6[/tex]

Using those two equations in two variables, I get that [itex]V_2\,=\,\frac{9}{8}\,V[/itex].

Substitute back into equation for[itex]I_1[/itex] and I get [itex]I_1\,=\,\frac{3}{8}\,A[/itex]

Now, to the second source.

[​IMG]

Express the currents:

[tex]I_1\,=\,\frac{V_1}{2}\,=\,-10\,A\,\,&\,\,I_2\,=\,\frac{V_3}{3}\,\,&\,\,I_3\,=\,\frac{V_2\,-\,V_3}{1}\,\,&\,\,I_4\,=\,\frac{V_2}{4}[/tex]

KCL @ V2) [tex]I_1\,+\,I_3\,+\,I_4\,=\,0\,\,\longrightarrow\,\,6\,V_1\,+\,3\,V_2\,+\,4\,V_3\,=\,0[/tex]

KCL @ V3) [tex]I_3\,=\,I_2\,\,\longrightarrow\,\,3\,V_2\,-\,4\,V_3\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]3\,V_2\,=\,4\,V_3[/tex]

Plug this into the equation for KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex]:

[tex]6\,V_1\,+\,6\,V_2\,=\,0[/tex]

We know the voltage difference between [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex]:

[tex]V_2\,-\,V_1\,=\,20\,V[/tex]

Solving: [tex]V_1\,=\,-10\,V\,\,&\,\,V_2\,=\,10\,V\,\,&\,\,V_3\,=\,\frac{15}{2}\,V[/tex]

Now plug the voltages into the [itex]I_2[/itex] v = i R equation:

[tex]I_2\,=\,\frac{V}{R}\,=\,\frac{\frac{15}{2}\,V}{3\Omega}\,=\,\frac{5}{2}\,A\,=\,2.5\,A[/tex]

Now, the last source.

[​IMG]

Express the currents:

[tex]I_1\,=\,\frac{V_1}{2}\,\,&\,\,I_2\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{1}\,\,&\,\,I_3\,=\,\frac{V_2}{3}\,\,&\,\,\frac{V_1\,+\,16}{4}[/tex]

KCL @V1) [tex]I_1\,+\,I_2\,+\,I_4\,=\,0\,\longrightarrow\,7\,V_1\,-\,4\,V_2\,=\,-16[/tex]

KCL @ V2) [tex]I_2\,=\,I_3\,\,\longrightarrow\,3\,V_1\,-\,4\,V_2\,=\,0[/tex]

I get [itex]V_2\,=\,-3\,V[/itex] and I plug into the original current equation and I get that [itex]I_3\,=\,-1\,A[/itex].

Finally, add them up:

[tex]I\,=\,I_1\,+\,I_2\,+\,I_3\,=\,\frac{15}{8}\,=\,1.875\,A[/tex]

EDIT: Thanks for the help chanvincent!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2
    For your second figure, I spoted a little mistake

The voltage accross the 2[tex] \Omega [/tex] resister is [tex] V_1[/tex], not -20.

-20 is the voltage of [tex] V_2 - V_1[/tex]

If you correct this little error, you will get [tex] I_2 = 2.5 [/tex]V... which will yeild a correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?