1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit brightness problem

1. Aug 18, 2007 #1
    Can someone help me with 1 (e) at the following site:

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Phy...6C858-A92B-431F-A43E-725D58A768EF/0/exam1.pdf

The solutions say that all on-bulbs in 1 (e) glow with equal brightness. But how is that possible because in e-c, the equivalence resistance is

(2/R) so the total current is V * R/2 and the current through each branch is V * R. In e-b, the current is V/R through B, which is different, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

2/R as the equivalent resistance is wrong. It should be R/2. You don't need to find the equivalent resistance though. The current through a resistor is just the voltage across the resistor divided by resistance. For e-c, the voltage across bulb B is V... the resistance of bulb B is R, so the current through bulb B is V/R... exactly the same way, the current through bulb C is V/R.

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    I see. But you can just keep adding more and more light bulbs in parallel and they will each glow as bright as a single light bulb? Doesn't that allow you to generate an infinite amount of light (energy) with a finite amount of voltage?

Yes, we are assuming the wires have negligable resistance. But this still seems fishy to me...

5. Aug 18, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are in parallel so it's an infinite amount of light with an infinite amount of current. This isn't a problem as an infinite amount of current at a finitie voltage gives an infinitie amount of energy - of course paying the bill might be tricky!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?