Solve Circuit: Find ΔQ for Switch T Turned Off

In summary, the current flowing in the circuit when the switch T is off is different from the current flowing when the switch is on. Therefore, the expression for "I" that I used in the second part of the problem is probably wrong.
hastings
In the given circuit (1st diagram), the switch T is initially down (creates a connection). At a certain instant, the switch is turned off and for a while the circuit is kept in that state(final situation). Find the ΔQ=Q(fin)-Q(init) on the top plate of the capacitor while passing from the initial condition to the final condition. Please check out the diagrams. Consider all the quantities which appear in the diagrams, as known.

What I did:
(1) When the switch is creating a connection, there is a current "I" which flows in the circuit BUT there is no current (or it tends to 0) in the piece of circuit containing the capacitor; we can consider it as an open switch or simply remove that piece (2nd diagram).
I need to know (Va-Vb) in order to determine the Q(int)

[tex]f-I(2r+R) +f =0[/tex]

[tex]I=\frac{2f}{2r+R}[/tex] (1.1)

[tex](V_A-V_B) -Ir+f=0 \longrightarrow (V_A - V_B)=Ir-f[/tex] (1.2)

Substituting (1.1) into (1.2), I get

[tex](V_A - V_B)=\frac{2f}{2r+R}r-f[/tex]

From that, I guess

[tex]Q^{init}=C(V_A-V_B)=C(\frac{2f}{2r+R}r-f)=C(-\frac{Rf}{2r+R})[/tex].

Is it correct up to this point?

Now, how to proceed when the switch T is open and doesn't create connection (3rd diagram) with r and the 2nd source?

Attachments

• prob4.0.jpg
    prob4.0.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 348
  • prob4.1.jpg
    prob4.1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 357
  • prob4.2.jpg
    prob4.2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me try the second part. I'll refer to the 3rd diagram attached.
(2) I again need to know (Va-Vb) in order to find Q(fin). The current flows clock wise but I move counter clock wise because I have to go from A to B.

[tex](V_A-V_B) +I(r+R) -f=0 [/tex]

[tex](V_A-V_B)= f-I(r+R)[/tex]. (2.1)

In the above expression I substitute (1.1) and I get:

[tex](V_A-V_B)= f-( \frac{2f}{2r+R} )(r+R) = \frac{2fr+fR-2fr-2fR}{2r+R}=-\frac{fR}{2r+R} [/tex]

[tex]Q^{fin}=C(V_A-V_B)=C (-\frac{fR}{2r+R}) [/tex]

Hence

[tex]\Delta Q=Q^{fin}-Q^{init}= (- C\frac{fR}{2r+R}) -(-C\frac{Rf}{2r+R})[/tex]

This cannot be possible!
Now, I clearly have mistaken somewhere! Plus, I think the current flowing in the circuit when switch T is off, is different from the current flowing when the switch is on, so I probably cannot use the same expression of "I", the current, in the 2nd part of the problem. Therefore, please help me!

Last edited:
Can anyone help me? thanks.

What is the purpose of solving a circuit and finding ΔQ for switch T turned off?

The purpose of solving a circuit and finding ΔQ for switch T turned off is to determine the amount of charge (ΔQ) that will flow through the circuit when switch T is in the off position. This information can help predict the behavior of the circuit and ensure that it functions properly.

What is ΔQ and why is it important in circuit analysis?

ΔQ, also known as change in charge, is a measure of the amount of charge that has flowed through a circuit. It is important in circuit analysis because it helps to determine the voltage and current in the circuit, which are crucial for understanding how the circuit functions and how to troubleshoot any issues.

How do you solve a circuit and find ΔQ for switch T turned off?

To solve a circuit and find ΔQ for switch T turned off, you will need to use a combination of Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and other circuit analysis techniques. First, you will need to analyze the circuit and identify all the components, such as resistors and capacitors. Then, you can use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage and current in each component. Finally, you can use Kirchhoff's laws to determine the total voltage and current in the circuit, which will allow you to calculate ΔQ.

What are some factors that can affect the value of ΔQ in a circuit?

The value of ΔQ in a circuit can be affected by various factors, such as the resistance of the circuit components, the voltage applied, and the presence of any external magnetic fields. Other factors that can affect ΔQ include the type of circuit (series or parallel), the temperature, and the type of material the components are made of.

Why is it important to consider switch T when solving a circuit?

Switch T is an important component in a circuit because it allows you to control the flow of current. When switch T is turned off, it interrupts the flow of current and affects the overall behavior of the circuit. Therefore, it is crucial to consider switch T when solving a circuit to ensure that the circuit operates as intended.