Circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a physics practice exam that asks for the value of "I" in terms of V1, V2, R1, and R2. The solution involves using Kirchoff's Voltage Law to produce three equations and then finding the current sum at one of the nodes. The efficiency of the circuit setup is also questioned, but it is noted that exam questions do not always represent real world problems.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

The question pertains to the first problem from this link
https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys212/sp2014/practice/practice.pl?exam2/fa10
They ask for the value of "I" in terms of V1, V2, R1, and R2.

Homework Equations

V = IR
∑Vi = 0 [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Choosing Kirchoff's Voltage Law will produce three equations...[/B]

1). V1 - i1R1 - V2 - i2R1 - i1R2 = 0

2). V2 - V2 - i3R1 + i2R1 = 0

3). V1 - i1R1 - V2 - i3R1 - i1R2 = 0

The question makes it seem as if I could solve for that current with just one equation. I'm confused on how to label the currents given the positioning of the battery terminals in the circuit as well. They seem to be pumping current directly into each others positive terminals, why is this an efficient set up for the circuit in the first place? Should I combine the two V2 batteries because voltages in parallel are equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
okay so just messing with these equations, I3 = I2 and (1) and (3) become the same exact thing, working with just one equation
V1 - i1R1 - V2 - i2R1 - i1R2 = 0

Check the current sum at one of the nodes. The sum of incoming currents is equal to the sum of outgoing currents.

I'm sorry, I completely forgot my node equation. I found it quite easily after that third equation. Thank you

They seem to be pumping current directly into each others positive terminals, why is this an efficient set up for the circuit in the first place?

Exam questions don't have to be representative of real world problems but you do come across circuits where one voltage source delivers current to another like this. I bet you have at least one battery charger at home. If you have one that charges several loose cells it's not to dissimilar.

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors?

In order to calculate the total resistance in a circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors, you can use the formula R(total) = R1 + R2 + R3 + R4, where R1-R4 represent the resistance values of each resistor. It is important to note that if the resistors are connected in series, the total resistance will be the sum of all individual resistances. If the resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance can be calculated using the formula 1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + 1/R4.

2. How do I determine the current in a circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors?

In order to determine the current in a circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors, you can use Ohm's Law: I = V/R, where I represents current, V represents voltage, and R represents resistance. You can calculate the total resistance in the circuit using the method described in the previous question, and then use this value in Ohm's Law to determine the current.

3. What is the purpose of using multiple batteries in a circuit?

The purpose of using multiple batteries in a circuit is to increase the total voltage. When batteries are connected in series, their voltages add up, resulting in a higher overall voltage in the circuit. This can be useful when powering devices that require a higher voltage than a single battery can provide.

4. How do I calculate the power dissipated by each resistor in a circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors?

In order to calculate the power dissipated by each resistor in a circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors, you can use the formula P = V^2/R, where P represents power, V represents voltage, and R represents resistance. You can calculate the voltage drop across each resistor by multiplying the current in the circuit (calculated using Ohm's Law) by the resistance of the resistor. Then, plug in this value for voltage in the formula to calculate the power dissipated by each resistor.

5. Can I add more resistors to a circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors?

Yes, you can add more resistors to a circuit with 3 batteries and 4 resistors. However, it is important to consider the effects on the total resistance and current in the circuit. Adding resistors in series will increase the total resistance, while adding resistors in parallel will decrease the total resistance. It is also important to ensure that the total voltage in the circuit is not exceeded, as this can cause damage to the batteries or other components.