Circuits - Calculating resistance/conductance etc

• Thread starter FaraDazed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the problem involves a source with voltage 4.25mV running along a 10cm long cylindrical copper conductor with a cross-sectional radius of 0.8mm. With a current of 5A flowing through the conductor, we can calculate the resistance and conductance of the conductor, as well as the resistivity and conductivity of the material it is made from using various equations. The resistance is found to be 0.00085Ω, the conductance is 1176.47Ω^-1, and the resistivity is 2.07x10^-5. The conductivity is the reciprocal of the resistivity and is found to be 4.83x10^4Ω^-1
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Source with voltage 4.25mV is ran along a 10cm long cylindrical copper conductor which has a cross sectional radius of 0.8mm. If the current was measured at 5A flowing through the conductor calculate: the resistance and conductance of the conductor and the resistivity and conductivity of the material the conductor is made from.

Homework Equations

The only equations we were given last week which is supposed to refer to this problem type are:
[tex]
I=\frac{Q}{t} \\
Q=ne \\
I=\frac{ne}{t} \\
I=frac{neAl}{t}=neAv_d \\
v_d=\frac{I}{nAe} \\
J=\frac{I}{A}=nv_de \\
\rho=\frac{E}{J} \\
\rho=(\frac{V}{I})(\frac{A}{l}) \\
R=\frac{V}{I}=\frac{\rho l}{A} \\
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the resistance i have done:
[tex]
R=\frac{V}{I}=\frac{0.00425}{5}=0.00085Ω
[/tex]
For the conductance I looked it up that its the inverse so I just did
[tex]
\frac{1}{0.00085}=1176.47Ω^{-1}\\
[/tex]
for the resistivity i have done
[tex]
\rho=\frac{RA}{l} \\
\rho=\frac{(0.00085)(\pi 0.0088^2)}{0.1}=2.07\times 10^{-5} \\
[/tex]
It is the conductivty that is confusing the hell out of me, don't even know where to start.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh right OK thank you :)

Is what I have already done correct? Apart from the little typo mistake where I used 0.88mm for the radius as it should be just 0.8mm.

It looks correct.

ehild

First of all, great job on correctly calculating the resistance and conductance of the conductor! To calculate the resistivity and conductivity of the material, we can use the following equations:

\rho=\frac{RA}{l} \\
\sigma=\frac{1}{\rho}=\frac{l}{RA}

Where \rho is the resistivity, \sigma is the conductivity, R is the resistance, A is the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and l is the length of the conductor.

Plugging in the values we have, we get:

\rho=\frac{(0.00085)(\pi 0.0088^2)}{0.1}=2.07\times 10^{-5} \Omega\cdot m \\
\sigma=\frac{1}{2.07\times 10^{-5}}=4.83\times 10^4\, \Omega^{-1}\cdot m^{-1}

This means that the material the conductor is made from has a resistivity of 2.07\times 10^{-5}\, \Omega\cdot m and a conductivity of 4.83\times 10^4\, \Omega^{-1}\cdot m^{-1}.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

2. How do you calculate resistance?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance equals voltage divided by current (R = V/I). It can also be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the material, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What is conductance?

Conductance is the inverse of resistance, and measures how easily electric current can flow through a material. It is measured in siemens (S) and is represented by the symbol G.

4. How do you calculate conductance?

Conductance can be calculated using the formula G = 1/R, where R is the resistance of the material. It can also be calculated using the formula G = σA/L, where σ is the conductivity of the material, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length of the material.

5. How do you convert between resistance and conductance?

To convert between resistance and conductance, you can use the formula G = 1/R or R = 1/G, depending on which value you are given. Make sure to use the correct unit (ohms or siemens) for the calculation.