Circuits - Node analysis of connected and dependent sources

In summary, the person has a problem with understanding the theory behind a circuit and is specifically concerned about a line connecting two sub-circuits and its behavior. They believe that this line may affect the current flow and are seeking help to better understand the situation. The summary also mentions that the line joining the sub-circuits may not carry any current and can be removed without affecting the interactions between the sub-circuits.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey!
I have a problem with the theory side of this circuit here:
1. The problem
I know that you are supposed to pick the buttom node of the circuit to represent your significant node at which you shouldn't construct a series of equations. But what if I picked another node as my significant node and I would come to this node and have to draw the current leaving the node. It is pretty clear for the whole circuit but the problem I see is that there is that line that connects these two sub-circuits and I don't know how it behaves.

Homework Equations

qD9bLfm.png
3. The attempt
My thought are that the current can't "come back for refueling" if it would go throught that pass. I have to little knowledge about this situation to say anything.

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
Hey!
I have a problem with the theory side of this circuit here:
1. The problem
I know that you are supposed to pick the buttom node of the circuit to represent your significant node at which you shouldn't construct a series of equations. But what if I picked another node as my significant node and I would come to this node and have to draw the current leaving the node. It is pretty clear for the whole circuit but the problem I see is that there is that line that connects these two sub-circuits and I don't know how it behaves.

Homework Equations

qD9bLfm.png

3. The attempt
My thought are that the current can't "come back for refueling" if it would go throught that pass. I have to little knowledge about this situation to say anything.

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Your intuition is correct. Current flow requires a circuit (a closed loop). So that wire segment joining the two sub-circuits carries no current. You can remove it if you wish; the two sub-circuits interact via the controlled source parameters.

1. What is a node in a circuit?

A node is a point in a circuit where two or more circuit elements are connected. It is represented by a dot in a circuit diagram and is used to analyze the flow of current and voltage in a circuit.

2. How is node analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Node analysis is a method used to analyze circuits with multiple connected and dependent sources. It involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to write equations for each node in the circuit and solving them simultaneously to determine the voltage at each node.

3. Can node analysis be used for circuits with only independent sources?

Yes, node analysis can be used for circuits with only independent sources. In this case, the equations written using KCL will only include the currents through the circuit elements and no additional equations will be needed for dependent sources.

4. How do you handle dependent sources in node analysis?

Dependent sources can be handled by including additional equations for the dependent source in the node analysis. These equations can be written using the relationship between the dependent source and the other circuit variables (such as voltage or current).

5. Are there any limitations to node analysis?

Node analysis may not be suitable for circuits with a large number of nodes, as it can become time-consuming and complex to solve. In such cases, other circuit analysis methods like mesh analysis or superposition can be used. Additionally, node analysis may not be suitable for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors.