Circuits - Power and Resistivity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the length of a Nichrome wire used in a 530 W heating coil designed to operate from 110 V. The resistivity of the Nichrome remains constant at its 20.0°C value and is given as 1.1E-6. Using the equations V=IR and rho=R(A/l), the length of the wire is found to be approximately 4.07m. However, further research shows that the correct resistivity for Nichrome is 1.5E-6 ohm-meter, resulting in a length of 2.98m. The conversation concludes with a discussion of part B of the homework, which involves doubling the diameter of the wire and finding the
NemaxameN

Homework Statement

A 530 W heating coil designed to operate from 110 V is made of Nichrome wire 0.500 mm in diameter.
(a) Assuming that the resistivity of the Nichrome remains constant at its 20.0°C value, find the length of wire used.
(b) If the diameter of the wire were doubled, how long would the wire be if it had the same resistance?

My chart says rhoNichrome=1.1E-6

Homework Equations

P=VI
V=IR
rho=R(A/l)
A=pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5/2=0.25 (radius)
pi*(0.25)^2=0.196mm^2 = A

V=IR => I=V/R
P=V(V/R) => 530=110^2/R
R=22.83 ohms

1.1E-6=22.83(0.196E-6/l)
l=~4.07m

But this answer is wrong. If someone could help me find my mistake in part A, I can work part B. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me. Wikipedia has rhoNichrome= 1.5 E-6 ohm-meter

That gave me 2.98m and 11.95m. Both were still wrong. Hmmm. It's possible my teacher made a miscalculation, she does that fairly frequently. Thank you though!

1. What is power in a circuit?

Power in a circuit is the rate at which energy is transferred or transformed. It is measured in watts (W) and is equal to the product of voltage (V) and current (I).

2. How is power calculated in a circuit?

Power can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

3. What is resistivity in a circuit?

Resistivity is a measure of how easily a material resists the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω*m).

4. How is resistivity related to resistance?

Resistance (R) is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current in a material. It is directly proportional to resistivity (ρ) and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area (A) and length (l) of the material, as shown in the formula R = ρl/A.

5. What factors affect the power and resistivity in a circuit?

The power in a circuit is affected by the voltage and current, while resistivity is affected by the type of material, temperature, and dimensions of the material. Additionally, the power and resistivity in a circuit are also affected by external factors such as the presence of other components or the design of the circuit.