Circuits: Power, Voltage, Resistance

In summary, the circuit shown is used to produce a current-voltage graph for a 12V, 24W lamp. The resistance of the lamp in normal operation is 6 Ohms. To vary the voltage across the lamp between 0V and 12V, a potentiometer is used as a variable voltage divider. The value for R must be determined to make the voltage divider produce 12V across the lamp.
barnaby

Homework Statement

The circuit shown is used to produce a current-voltage graph for a 12V, 24W lamp:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9139/circuitlu6.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9139/circuitlu6.jpg
a) Calculate the resistance of the lamp in normal operation.
b) Calculate the value for R which wold enable the voltage across the lamp to be varied between 0V and 12V.

Homework Equations

P = IV
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

a) P=IV
24 = 12I
I = 2A

V = IR
12 = 2R
R = 6 Ohms

b) Absolutely no idea how to go about doing this... it seems that the voltage across the resistor R ought to be 8V, but I don't know, since we haven't been told what the component with the arrow pointing into the 24 ohm resistor is... Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
barnaby said:

Homework Statement

b) Absolutely no idea how to go about doing this... it seems that the voltage across the resistor R ought to be 8V, but I don't know, since we haven't been told what the component with the arrow pointing into the 24 ohm resistor is...

This is a "potentiometer" A resistor with a sliding contact, forming a variable voltage divider.
you have to determine such that you get 12 V across the lamp if the contact is at the top and 0 V if the contact is at the bottom.

So if the contact is at the top, you get what is in effect two resistors in parallel - one at 24 ohms and the other at 6 ohms? I tried solving it like that... and got nowhere - calculated that the total resistance of the two strands of the circuit was 4.8 ohms... don't know if that's helpful at all, though.

Last edited:
barnaby said:
So if the contact is at the top, you get what is in effect two resistors in parallel - one at 24 ohms and the other at 6 ohms? I tried solving it like that... and got nowhere - calculated that the total resistance of the two strands of the circuit was 4.8 ohms... don't know if that's helpful at all, though.

That's certainly helpful. Now you have to find the R that makes the voltage divider formed by R and the 4.8 Ohm resistance produce 12 V

1. What is the difference between power, voltage, and resistance?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted in a circuit. It is measured in watts (W). Voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit, and is measured in volts (V). Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electricity, and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How are power, voltage, and resistance related?

They are related through Ohm's Law, which states that the current (measured in amperes or A) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (Ω). In other words, power (W) can also be calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (A).

3. What are some common examples of circuits in everyday life?

Some common examples of circuits in everyday life include light bulbs in lamps or ceiling fixtures, computers and other electronic devices, and household appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines.

4. How does the type of material affect resistance in a circuit?

The type of material used in a circuit can affect its resistance. Materials with high resistance, such as rubber or plastic, will impede the flow of electricity more than materials with low resistance, such as metals. This is because the electrons in materials with high resistance are more tightly bound and cannot move as freely as those in materials with low resistance.

5. How can I increase the power in a circuit?

There are a few ways to increase the power in a circuit. You can increase the voltage, which in turn will increase the current and therefore the power. Another way is to decrease the resistance, which will also increase the current and power. You can also add more components in a circuit, such as batteries or power sources, to increase the overall power.