1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CIRCUITS: Three resistors, two Indep. Voltage sources, one Indep. Current source

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    Find I in the circuit using the superposition principle:

My work so far:

This reduces down to:

This reduces down to:

But how do I solve this circuit?:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

First of all. The equivalent load for the two voltage sources is [tex]16\Omega[/tex] and not [tex]8\Omega[/tex]. So, I1 = 1A and I2 = -3/4A.
    For the third circuit, forget the ground. The [tex]6\Omega[/tex] and [tex]8\Omega[/tex] resistors are in series and their series equivalent is in parallel with the [tex]2\Omega[/tex] resistor.
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    The cuurent that I am looking for (I1) is in between the two resistors that are 8-ohms. I know they are in series and combined they are 16-ohm but don't I have to leave them like that to get the right answer since the current is between them?
  5. Oct 18, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That current goes through both resistors. It is OK to keep them separate, but then you have two voltage drops of 8I1 and 8I1. The net effect is the same as one 16 ohm resistor. You do not have to keep them separate; you can always replace a series combination of resistors by one equivalent resistor.
  6. Oct 18, 2006 #5
    OIC - The same current goes through both resistors BECAUSE they are in series!

So that means that:

But how do I find [itex]I_3[/itex] in the last circuit?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  7. Oct 18, 2006 #6
    So the circuit would look like this?:

That is right, thanks everyone!
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?