1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Circuits] Using Superposition find vo

1. Jun 13, 2014 #1
    I've been trying to to solve this for hours now and Im frustrated. I think I have vx', which might be wrong, but I cannot find vx" for the life of me. I have posted all my work, I know what I have down so far is correct, but I am missing something to move forward.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using Superposition, find vx in the circuit figure.

2wdd1n6.png

2. Relevant equations

vx= vx' + vx"

Mesh Analysis (KVL), Node Analysis (KCL), Ohm's Law

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot find vx"!! I need i3, but I literally can't find anything in the second circuit. Please help!

http://i61.tinypic.com/2zflrbc.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2014 #2
    Maybe you wanna redo your calculation for your nodal analysis at point Vx

Your equation should be 5 = i1 + i3 + i4 (since i2 = i3 + i4), but I see 4 terms in your equation, which should only be 3 terms?

4. Jun 15, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Unless it is stipulated that you must use mesh or nodal analysis, why don't you do it the easiest way you can see? Then once you can get it right that way, try it afresh using the more formal approach.

The dependent source is active with either source, whether you're considering the 25V source or the 5A source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted