Nodal analysis for OP amp circuit using superposition

In summary, the problem involves finding the voltage over a 10kohm resistor when all sources except for a 3 V source are set to zero. The nodal analysis equation for this is (v_a - 3)/8000 + (v_a - v_o1)/24000 = 0, with v_a representing the voltage at the input nodes. The solution involves setting v_a to 0 and solving for v_o1, which results in v_o1 = -9 V.
AbbeAbyss

Homework Statement

http://www.wifstrand.se/Albert/stuff/p6.5-9.png

I'm stuck with finding v_o1 (voltage over the 10kohm resistor when all sources but the 3 V source, which I've labeled v_1, is set to zero); seems like it should be really simple but I'm missing an equation.

Homework Equations

http://www.wifstrand.se/Albert/stuff/p6.5-9-superpos.png

Nodal analysis for this figure gives

(v_a - 3)/8000 + (v_a - v_o1)/24000 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two unknown variables but I can't figure out what the second equation would be. The answer given in the initial problem statement suggests that v_a = 2 V and v_o1 = -1 (since a_1 = v_01 * v_1 = (-1) * 3 = -3) which satisfies the equation above but naturally I'd like to know what I'd need to solve it.

I can see that v_a - v_01 - 3 = 2 - (-1) - 3 = 0 but I'm not sure how to find that expression systematically and if it corresponds to KVL somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have ideal amplifier so both input nodes have the same potential, hence
[tex]V_a=0[/tex]

szynkasz said:
We have ideal amplifier so both input nodes have the same potential, hence
[tex]V_a=0[/tex]

I messed up the calculation of the gain: it's a_1 = v_01 / v_1, not a_1 = v_01 * v_1 ...

So with your clarification on this (I believe I tried setting v_a to 0 initially but then I tried other stuff haphazardly since it didn't work with my faulty expression for a_1, LOL...), solving for v_01 in

(v_a - 3)/8000 + (v_a - v_o1)/24000 = 0

gives v_01 = -9 V and now it all makes sense.

Thanks.

1. What is nodal analysis for OP amp circuits using superposition?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze and solve circuits that contain operational amplifiers (OP amps). Superposition is a technique used in nodal analysis that allows us to solve for the output voltage of a circuit by analyzing the individual contributions of each input voltage source separately.

2. How is nodal analysis using superposition different from regular nodal analysis?

In regular nodal analysis, all input voltage sources are considered simultaneously when solving for the output voltage. In nodal analysis using superposition, one input voltage source is considered at a time while the others are set to 0. This allows for a simpler and more systematic approach to solving complex circuits with multiple input sources.

3. What are the steps for performing nodal analysis using superposition?

The steps for nodal analysis using superposition are as follows:

1. Identify all input voltage sources and label them as Vi.
  2. Choose one input voltage source (Vi) and set all other input sources to 0.
  3. Apply Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to each node in the circuit, using the equations Vn = (Vn-1 - Vi)/Rn, where Vn is the voltage at the nth node and Rn is the resistance connected to the nth node.
  4. Repeat step 3 for each input source until all sources have been analyzed.
  5. Add the individual contributions of each input source to find the overall output voltage of the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using nodal analysis with superposition?

Nodal analysis using superposition can be advantageous because it allows for a systematic and organized approach to solving complex circuits with multiple input sources. It also helps to reduce the number of equations that need to be solved, making it easier to calculate the output voltage.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using nodal analysis with superposition?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using nodal analysis with superposition include forgetting to set the other input sources to 0, incorrect application of KCL equations, and forgetting to add the individual contributions of each input source to find the overall output voltage. It is also important to double check the final solution to ensure it is correct.