1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nodal analysis for OP amp circuit using superposition

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.wifstrand.se/albert/stuff/p6.5-9.png [Broken]

I'm stuck with finding v_o1 (voltage over the 10kohm resistor when all sources but the 3 V source, which I've labeled v_1, is set to zero); seems like it should be really simple but I'm missing an equation.

2. Relevant equations

http://www.wifstrand.se/albert/stuff/p6.5-9-superpos.png [Broken]

Nodal analysis for this figure gives

(v_a - 3)/8000 + (v_a - v_o1)/24000 = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I have two unknown variables but I can't figure out what the second equation would be. The answer given in the initial problem statement suggests that v_a = 2 V and v_o1 = -1 (since a_1 = v_01 * v_1 = (-1) * 3 = -3) which satisfies the equation above but naturally I'd like to know what I'd need to solve it.

I can see that v_a - v_01 - 3 = 2 - (-1) - 3 = 0 but I'm not sure how to find that expression systematically and if it corresponds to KVL somehow.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2
    We have ideal amplifier so both input nodes have the same potential, hence
    [tex]V_a=0[/tex]

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    I messed up the calculation of the gain: it's a_1 = v_01 / v_1, not a_1 = v_01 * v_1 ...

So with your clarification on this (I believe I tried setting v_a to 0 initially but then I tried other stuff haphazardly since it didn't work with my faulty expression for a_1, LOL...), solving for v_01 in

(v_a - 3)/8000 + (v_a - v_o1)/24000 = 0

gives v_01 = -9 V and now it all makes sense.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook