Circuits with Series and Parallel Wiring

In summary, the problem involves parallel and series circuits with 10 ohm, 20 ohm, and 6 ohm resistors. The 10 ohm resistors are in parallel, while the 20 ohm and 6 ohm resistor are in series. The 20 ohm and 6 ohm resistors are not in series because there is another element connected to the node where they are connected. To solve the problem, the voltage drop across each resistor must be calculated using V=RI. The voltage drop across the equivalent parallel resistors is the same for all resistors in parallel. The voltage drop across the 4 ohm resistor is used to calculate the total current flowing through the circuit.
Snape1830
I attached the problem. I'm pretty confused. I remember the equations for parallel and series circuits, but I have no idea how to do this. I attempted, but failed. I know the two 10 ohm resistors are in parallel (so Rnet is 5), and the 20 ohm and the 6 ohm resistor are in series (So Rnet is 26). But then are those in parallel or series? And then i just don't know how to do the problem.

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    5 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
The 10-ohm resistors are in parallel, but the 20-ohm and 6-ohm resistor aren't in series.

vela said:
The 10-ohm resistors are in parallel, but the 20-ohm and 6-ohm resistor aren't in series.

Is the 10, 10 and 20 ohm in parallel and the 6 ohm in series with those three? Otherwise, I can't see how the 20 and the 6 aren't in series.

The 20-ohm and 6-ohm are not in series because there's something else connected to the node where the two resistors are connected. If two elements are in series, all of the current in one element has to go through the other element. For example, the battery and the 6-ohm resistor are in series. You should be able to see that all of the current that flows through the battery has to also go through the 6-ohm resistor. That's not the case with the 6-ohm and 20-ohm resistor. Some of the current that goes through the 6-ohm resistor will branch off to go through the 10-ohm resistors.

vela said:
The 20-ohm and 6-ohm are not in series because there's something else connected to the node where the two resistors are connected. If two elements are in series, all of the current in one element has to go through the other element. For example, the battery and the 6-ohm resistor are in series. You should be able to see that all of the current that flows through the battery has to also go through the 6-ohm resistor. That's not the case with the 6-ohm and 20-ohm resistor. Some of the current that goes through the 6-ohm resistor will branch off to go through the 10-ohm resistors.

Ok...so how do I do the problem?

10 ohm resistors aren't in a series and are parallel but the other two are in a series. I find it easy to see if they are parallel or series by redrawing the diagram to one you are comfortable with. At every split in the wire with resistors, just branch it off.

mrcheeses said:
10 ohm resistors aren't in a series and are parallel but the other two are in a series. I find it easy to see if they are parallel or series by redrawing the diagram to one you are comfortable with. At every split in the wire with resistors, just branch it off.

So 20 and 6 are in series? That's what I thought. I'm not really sure how to redraw it. Can you can just help me get the answer?

Mrcheeses is wrong. The two resistors are not in series.

See http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/elessonshtml/Resist/Resist2.html

Last edited:
I redraw the circuit making the wires a bit shorter and moving the ammeter closer to the resistors, but the circuit is equivalent with the original one. Note that the ammeter can be replaced by a single piece of wire. Which resistors are connected in parallel?

ehild

Attachments

• circuit3.JPG
    circuit3.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 409
Yes, 10,10 and 20 ohms are in parallel.

ehild said:
I redraw the circuit making the wires a bit shorter and moving the ammeter closer to the resistors, but the circuit is equivalent with the original one. Note that the ammeter can be replaced by a single piece of wire. Which resistors are connected in parallel?

ehild

10, 10 and the 20 ohm resistor are in parallel. So the Rnet is 4 for those? So then do I just use V=RI to solve for current?

Yes, the resultant of the parallel resistor is 4 ohm. And the resultant is connected to the 6 ohm resistor, and the whole is connected to the battery. You can use V=RI to get the total current.

What current does the ammeter read?

ehild said:
Yes, the resultant of the parallel resistor is 4 ohm. And the resultant is connected to the 6 ohm resistor, and the whole is connected to the battery. You can use V=RI to get the total current.

What current does the ammeter read?

Well, 4+6=10.
So...
20=10I
I=2 A

But 2 is wrong, so I don't know.

The ammeter does not read the current flowing through the battery. It reads the current that flows through itself. It is connected in series with what ?

ehild

ehild said:
The ammeter does not read the current flowing through the battery. It reads the current that flows through itself. It is connected in series with what ?

ehild

The three resistors in parallel? But to find current you need to know the voltage.

Snape1830 said:
The three resistors in parallel? But to find current you need to know the voltage.

No it is not the three resistors in parallel, but?
And you can find the voltage. ehild

ehild said:
No it is not the three resistors in parallel, but?
And you can find the voltage.

ehild

Just the two 10s? How do I find the voltage if I only have the resistors?

Snape1830 said:
Well, 4+6=10.
So...
20=10I
I=2 A

But 2 is wrong, so I don't know.

Now you got 2 Amps flowing through the equilvalent parallel resistors and through 6 Ohms resistor.

Now what is the voltage across each of the parallel resistors?
From this voltage drop, you calculate the current flow.

What is required here is to find the current flowing through the equivalent parallel resistors of two 10 Ohms resistors.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
Now you got 2 Amps flowing through the equilvalent parallel resistors and through 6 Ohms resistor.

Now what is the voltage across each of the parallel resistors?
From this voltage drop, you calculate the current flow.

V-RI
V=10(2)
V=20 V
V=20(2)
V=40 V

So across the 10 ohm resistors, the voltage drop is 20 V
Across the 20 ohm resistor the voltage drop is 40 V?

That 40 can't be right, though?

Wrong.
With equivalent parallel resistors, you have only 2 resistors. 6 ohms and 4 ohms.
What is the voltage drop across 4 ohms resistor.
This voltage drop is identical to all the resistors in parallel.
Remember the voltage across all resistore in parallel are equal.

azizlwl said:
Wrong.
With equivalent parallel resistors, you have only 2 resistors. 6 ohms and 4 ohms.
What is the voltage drop across 4 ohms resistor.
This voltage drop is identical to all the resistors in parallel.
Remember the voltage across all resistore in parallel are equal.

Oh, right, I misread the question.
V=2(4)
V=8 Volts

Snape1830 said:
Oh, right, I misread the question.
V=2(4)
V=8 Volts

So the voltage across the resultant of the parallel resistors is 8 V. You get the current through each of them if you divide that 8 V by the resistances.
What is the current that flows through the ammeter?
Remember Kirchhoff's nodal law.

ehild

Attachments

• circuit3b.JPG
    circuit3b.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 391
ehild said:
So the voltage across the resultant of the parallel resistors is 8 V. You get the current through each of them if you divide that 8 V by the resistances.
What is the current that flows through the ammeter?
Remember Kirchhoff's nodal law.

ehild

Kirchoff's loop rule? The current going in equals the current coming out.
So do I find the current through of the parallel resistors and then add them up...because that comes out to 2 and 2 is wrong.

Snape1830 said:
Kirchoff's loop rule? The current going in equals the current coming out.
So do I find the current through of the parallel resistors and then add them up...because that comes out to 2 and 2 is wrong.

I wrote Kirchhoff's node rule.

The ammeter measures the current that flows through it. Does I20 ,represented by the green arrow flow through the ammeter?

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Wrote Kirchhoff's node rule.

The ammeter measures the current that flows through it. Does I20 ,represented by the green arrow flow through the ammeter?

ehild

No? So it would be 1.6 A?

And thanks for taking the time to edit the picture!

Last edited:
Snape1830 said:
No? So it would be 1.6 A?

Correct .

ehild

ehild said:
Correct .

ehild

Ok! So now part b how much power dissipated through a 10 ohm resistor. The power equation.
P=IV
or
P=I2(r)
or
P= v2/R

I tried a few answers but none of them work.

Last edited:
What is the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor?

ehild

ehild said:
What is the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor?

ehild

8? It seems wrong for some reason

Snape1830 said:
Ok! So now part b how much power dissipated through a 10 ohm resistor. The power equation.
P=IV
or
P=I2(r)
or
P= v2/R

I tried a few answers but none of them work.
They don't? http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3484/hidden17.gif [Broken]

How much current is flowing in just one of the 10Ω resistors?

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
They don't? http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3484/hidden17.gif [Broken]

How much current is flowing in just one of the 10Ω resistors?

.8 amps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Snape1830 said:
.8 amps?
Then I2·R =
and what makes you think this isn't right?

NascentOxygen said:
Then I2·R =
and what makes you think this isn't right?

It would be 6.4, and it's wrong because I plugged in the answer and it said it was wrong.

Snape1830 said:
It would be 6.4, and it's wrong because I plugged in the answer and it said it was wrong.
6.4 watts is correct.

NascentOxygen said:
6.4 watts is correct.

Oh, right yeah, I just didn't put the decimal point in. Silly me.

Thanks!

<h2>1. What is the difference between series and parallel wiring in circuits?</h2><p>Series wiring connects components in a single path, while parallel wiring connects components in multiple paths. In series wiring, the current is the same throughout the circuit, while in parallel wiring, the voltage is the same across each component.</p><h2>2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?</h2><p>To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you simply add up the individual resistances of each component. This is because the current has to flow through each component in the circuit, so the total resistance is the sum of all the individual resistances.</p><h2>3. What happens to the total resistance in a parallel circuit?</h2><p>In a parallel circuit, the total resistance decreases as more components are added. This is because the current is divided among the different paths, resulting in a lower overall resistance. The more paths there are, the lower the total resistance will be.</p><h2>4. Can I mix series and parallel wiring in a circuit?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel wiring in a circuit. This is known as a series-parallel circuit. In this type of circuit, some components are connected in series, while others are connected in parallel, allowing for a more complex and versatile circuit design.</p><h2>5. How does the voltage change in a series-parallel circuit?</h2><p>In a series-parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same across each component in a parallel path, but it may vary in a series path. This is because the voltage is divided among the different paths in a parallel circuit, but it remains constant in a series circuit.</p>

1. What is the difference between series and parallel wiring in circuits?

Series wiring connects components in a single path, while parallel wiring connects components in multiple paths. In series wiring, the current is the same throughout the circuit, while in parallel wiring, the voltage is the same across each component.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you simply add up the individual resistances of each component. This is because the current has to flow through each component in the circuit, so the total resistance is the sum of all the individual resistances.

3. What happens to the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance decreases as more components are added. This is because the current is divided among the different paths, resulting in a lower overall resistance. The more paths there are, the lower the total resistance will be.

4. Can I mix series and parallel wiring in a circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel wiring in a circuit. This is known as a series-parallel circuit. In this type of circuit, some components are connected in series, while others are connected in parallel, allowing for a more complex and versatile circuit design.

5. How does the voltage change in a series-parallel circuit?

In a series-parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same across each component in a parallel path, but it may vary in a series path. This is because the voltage is divided among the different paths in a parallel circuit, but it remains constant in a series circuit.