1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circulant linear systems and the Discrete Fourier Transform

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, this is not a homework question per se, but something I'm wondering. Let C be a circulant n x n matrix, let x, b, be vectors such that

C x = b.

We would like to find a solution x. One way is to use the DFT: According to section 5, In Linear Equations, in the wikipedia article available at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circulant_matrix#In_linear_equations

if we let c be the 1st column of C, we have a convolution c * x = b from which the Circular Convolution Theorem gives

F_k(c) F_k(x) = F_k(b),

where F_k(x) denotes the k-th component of the Fourier transformation of the vector x. My question is, as I'm fairly new to all this, what is F_k(x) if F_k(c) = 0 for some k? Do we choose F_k(x) arbitrarily in this case? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2
  4. Jun 28, 2013 #3
    It's probably a yes I'm thinking implying more than one solution for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted