Circular and simple harmonic motion

In summary, the maximum acceleration of a beam that vibrates with an amplitude of 0.25mm at a rate of 110 vibrations per second is 6.8G.
AcidicVision

Homework Statement

A vibrating strutural beam in a spacecraft can cause problems if the frequency of vibration is fairly high. Even if the amplitude of vibration is only a fraction of a millimeter, the acceleration can be several times greater than acceleration due to gravity. As an example, find the maximum acceleration of a beam that vibrates with an amplitude of 0.25mm at a rate of 110 vibrations per second. Give your awnser as a multiple of g.

Homework Equations

I think...

-Aw^2cos(wt)
w = 2pi/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin. None of the problems I have done already have looked like this. I've either been given a specific time, mass or speed to work with. Would appreciate help getting started and working through this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
AcidicVision said:
-Aw^2cos(wt)
w = 2pi/T
That looks good to me. So you want to find the maximum value of -Aw2cos(wt). Now, A and w are constants so you can just ignore them, so what you really need to know it the maximum value of cos(wt).

so I start with cos(110 * t). But I don't have a value for t. Do I estrapolate it from something else?

AcidicVision said:
so I start with cos(110 * t). But I don't have a value for t. Do I estrapolate it from something else?
Think simpler than that, what is the maximum value which cos(x) can take?

0.25 would be max and -0.25 would be min with an origin point in the middle?

AcidicVision said:
0.25 would be max and -0.25 would be min with an origin point in the middle?
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean. Try sketching a graph of y=cos(x), what is the maximum value of this curve, i.e. what is the largest value of y?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the motion of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center point remains constant.

2. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

3. What is the difference between circular and simple harmonic motion?

The main difference between circular and simple harmonic motion is that circular motion follows a circular path, while simple harmonic motion follows a back and forth oscillation along a straight line. Additionally, the force in circular motion is directed towards the center of the circle, while the force in simple harmonic motion is directed towards the equilibrium point.

4. What are some examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion include the orbit of planets around the sun, the motion of a spinning top, and the motion of a Ferris wheel.

5. What are some examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass on a spring.