1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion Conceptual Physics - Space Station

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you are standing within the rim of a circular space station, in outer space. The rim revolves around the center of the space station at 290 m/s. If the radius of the station is 8784 meters, what will you weigh? (Hint: Find v^2/r and compare it to g.)

2. Relevant equations
    v^2/r=a
    F=m*v^2/r
    a=(4╥^2)/t^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    2902 m/s /8784 m =9.57 m/s2 What do I do with this now?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I quote from your original statement of the problem:
    Since you've done the first part, now go for the second.

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    ok. How do I compare it to g? Isn't 9.57 m/s2 g? I know the acceleration of gravity on earth is 9.81 m/s2. I am stuck on how I am supposed to compare it to find my mass?

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Right, g is ~9.81m/s^2. And for your acceleration, you get 9.57m/s^2. How do the two compare? You're looking for a statement like: The acceleration is .75 x g (.75 made up), or simply .75g. And since g determines weight on earth, you can figure out your "weight" in this accelerating environment from the same conversion factor.

6. Oct 14, 2009 #5
    Okay thanks a lot!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook