Circular Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric fields and potential difference in the context of circular parallel plates. The speakers question the calculation of electric field based on voltage difference and potential, and also wonder about the appearance of the electric field between capacitor plates.
Leitmotiv
I haven't figured it out yet, I find it way above my understanding of phyiscs

Suppose we have two circular parallel plates or radii r, both the same radius. They have a Voltage difference of V and they are separated a distance d. What would be the Electric Field in the whole space? Actually, I'd be happy enough with the potential.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the potential difference V. Knowing that, you can say that, if the potential at the negatively charged plate is V0, the potential at the other plate is V+V0. Now what?

What does the electric field between the plates of a capacitor look like?

I can understand that the concept of a circular parallel plate capacitor can be challenging to grasp. However, it is a fundamental concept in physics and understanding it can open up a whole world of understanding in electromagnetism.

To answer your question, the electric field in the space between the two plates of a circular parallel plate capacitor is given by the formula E = V/d, where V is the voltage difference and d is the distance between the plates. This means that the electric field is directly proportional to the voltage difference and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. So, as the voltage difference increases, the electric field also increases. Similarly, as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field decreases.

As for the potential, it is given by the formula V = Q/C, where Q is the charge on the plates and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. In a circular parallel plate capacitor, the capacitance is given by C = 2πε0r/d, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, r is the radius of the plates, and d is the distance between them. This means that the potential is directly proportional to the charge on the plates and the inverse of the distance between the plates. So, as the charge increases, the potential also increases, and as the distance between the plates increases, the potential decreases.

I hope this explanation helps in your understanding of circular parallel plate capacitors. Remember, physics can be complex, but with patience and persistence, it can be understood.

What is a circular parallel plate capacitor?

A circular parallel plate capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two circular plates placed parallel to each other. It is used to store electrical energy by storing a charge on the plates.

How does a circular parallel plate capacitor work?

A circular parallel plate capacitor works by using an insulating material, called a dielectric, between the two plates. When a voltage is applied to the plates, it creates an electric field between them, causing a charge to build up on the plates.

What factors affect the capacitance of a circular parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a circular parallel plate capacitor is affected by four factors: the distance between the plates, the plate area, the dielectric constant of the material between the plates, and the voltage applied to the plates.

How is the capacitance of a circular parallel plate capacitor calculated?

The capacitance of a circular parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the dielectric constant, A is the plate area, and d is the distance between the plates.

What are some applications of circular parallel plate capacitors?

Circular parallel plate capacitors have many practical applications, including in electronic circuits, power supplies, and energy storage devices. They are also commonly used in sensors, filters, and tuning circuits.