1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circumference of a parallelogram (diagnoals given only)

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given is a parallelogram which has diagonals of the length 7 (e) and 9 units (f). How big is its circumference?

The sides are a,b,c,d; a being the bottom side, rest is anti-clockwise... alpha is the angle of a etc...

2. Relevant equations

no are given, i guess pythagoras or trig might be useful.

diagonals of a parallelogram (might be useful)

e=sqrt(a^2+d^2+2*a*d*cos(alpha))
    f=sqrt (a^2+d^2-2*a*d*cos(alpha))

alpha=gamma
    beta=delta
    beta=180-alpha

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using this first of all by drawing lots of triangles in the parallelogram and solve it with pythagoras or trig functions but without success

afterwards i tried using the formulas for the diagonals but without knowing a and d i didn't have much of a success either

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2
    is it a regular parallelogram, where a=d, b=c, or not regular one where all, a,b,c,d are of different value?
    I am a little bit confused, are these
    alpha=gamma
    beta=delta
    beta=180-alpha some other conditions that you are given, or what?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    well, a=c and b=d

since the opposing sides are equally long, the opposing angles have to be equal as well; since a=c, alpha=gamma

these angle conditions are just normal rules for a regular parallelogram

hope, this is less confusing now...

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4
    I am giving a hint:

The diagonals of a parallelogram always intersect in the middle.

EDIT: Talking of midpoints, the question does not hold enough information. If you rotate any of the diagonals from the mid-point, the circumference (or is it the perimeter?) will vary. Thus the question is not finite.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?