Circus attraction - How far does this sled move up an incline

In summary, the problem involves a monkey and sled with a combined mass of 20 kg being given an initial speed of 4 m/s up a 20 degree inclined track. The coefficient of friction between the sled and incline is .20. The equations used are potential energy gravity = mg(delta h), work of friction = force x X, kinetic energy = .5mv2, F perpendicular = fgcostheta, and F parallel = fgsintheta. The solution involves drawing a force diagram and using the equation f parallel - force friction = ma, which results in a=1.51 m/s. The final step is to use the equation Potential gravitational energy - work of friction = kinetic energy to solve for the distance up
lewie

Homework Statement

In a circus performance, a monkey is strapped to a sled and both are given an initial speed of 4 m/s up a 20 degree inclined track. The combined mass of monkey and sled is 20 kg and the coefficient of friction between the sled and incline is .20. How far up the incline do the monkey and sled move?

Homework Equations

Potential energy gravity = mg(delta h)
Work of Friction = force x X
Kinetic energy = .5mv2
F perpendicular = fgcostheta
F parallel = fgsintheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having the most trouble just coming up with the equation to use. As the monkey moves up he gains potential gravitational energy. He also loses some kinetic energy to the work of friction. I'm also not sure what to plug in for work of friction.

Physics news on Phys.org

its best to draw a force diagram before you go any farther.

draw a ramp inclined at 20 degrees, draw your force normal applied force and force of gravity. From that you should have an idea of where to start

I drew that and I came up with
f parallel - force friction = ma
I substituted and solved and got a=1.51 m/s
I'm not sure what to do from here. I know I could use kinematics to solve but I'm trying to do it using energy. Would the equation be Potential gravitational energy - work of friction = kinetic energy?

1. What is the purpose of measuring how far a sled moves up an incline at a circus attraction?

Measuring how far a sled moves up an incline at a circus attraction can help determine the speed and force of the sled, as well as the overall performance of the attraction. It can also be used to ensure the safety of the riders.

2. How is the distance the sled moves up an incline calculated?

The distance the sled moves up an incline is typically calculated using basic physics principles, such as the angle of the incline, the mass of the sled, and the force applied to the sled. This can be done using equations such as F=ma and d=vt.

3. What factors can affect the distance the sled moves up an incline?

Several factors can affect the distance the sled moves up an incline, including the angle of the incline, the weight and size of the sled, the surface of the incline, and the force applied to the sled. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

4. How does the distance the sled moves up an incline impact the overall performance of the circus attraction?

The distance the sled moves up an incline is a key factor in determining the speed and excitement of the attraction. A longer distance typically means a faster and more thrilling ride. It can also affect the overall safety of the attraction, as a shorter distance may indicate a lack of force or potential hazards.

5. How can the distance the sled moves up an incline be adjusted to improve the performance of the circus attraction?

The distance the sled moves up an incline can be adjusted by changing the angle of the incline, adjusting the weight or size of the sled, or increasing or decreasing the force applied to the sled. It may also be helpful to test and fine-tune these factors to find the optimal distance for the best overall performance of the attraction.