Physics help for two questions please

• Thread starter bri22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the first question involves finding the average velocity between time 0 and time 6 seconds using any method. The area under the velocity-time graph must be found, but the shape between time 5 and 6 seconds is unclear. For the next question, a monkey on a sled with an initial speed of 4 m/s is moving up a 20 degree incline track with a combined mass of 20 kg and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20. The questions ask for the distance traveled and time passed before the monkey and sled come to a stop. To find the distance, the force of friction and acceleration must be calculated using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad. However,
bri22
Hi so the first question involves a velocity time graph and finding the average velocity between time 0 and time 6 s. it says use any method but I only know how to find the area under. I get how to find the time between each interval. For example between time 0 and 1.5, you would use length x width since it is a rectangle. I can figure out the answer for each interval but am stuck on time 5-6 s as I don't quite understand the shape. Any help would be great :)

http://m.flickr.com/photos/97943984@N07/9121926127/lightbox/

Next question.

In a circus performance, a money is strapped to a sled and both are given an initial speed of 4 m/s up a 20 degree incline track. The combined mass of monkey and sled is 20 kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction between sled and incline is .20.
A) how far up the include do the monkey and sled move before coming to a stop?
B) how much time passes from the time the monkey-sled starts going up the ramp until it comes to a stop?

For a, I get that you have to find the force of friction and eventually get to the point of finding acceleration so you can use the vf2 = vi2 + 2ad but when I did it, I didn't get the right answer for d. My textbook told me the answer should be 1.5 m but I am only getting 1.3 and am getting 1.5 for the acceleration so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I found the vector by doing cos and sin of 20 and multiplying it by the force of gravity and was also able to find the force of friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

1. the average velocity is the total displacement divided by the time. The displacement is the area under the v-t graph. Shade the area under the graph between t=5s and t=6s - that is the area you need to find. You may have to break it up into sub-areas ... note: your link does not come out for me.

2. Did you draw a free-body diagram?
Did you sketch a v-t graph for the monkey+cart?
We need to see your working.

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics refers to the study of physical laws and phenomena that were developed before the 20th century. This includes the laws of motion, gravity, and thermodynamics. Modern physics, on the other hand, focuses on the study of subatomic particles, relativity, and quantum mechanics.

2. How do I solve a physics problem?

To solve a physics problem, you need to first understand the problem and identify the relevant concepts and equations. Then, you can plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation. It is also important to check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. This means that an object with a constant speed but changing direction has a changing velocity.

4. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force of attraction between two objects with mass. According to Newton's law of universal gravitation, the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the larger the masses of the two objects and the closer they are, the stronger the force of gravity between them.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity, while potential energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and its height above a reference point.