Civil Engineer, chemistry is recommended but not required

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of excelling in all subjects, including chemistry, when pursuing a degree in engineering. The speaker emphasizes the usefulness of chemistry in understanding materials and their properties in engineering projects. They also discourage the idea of choosing an easier route in a private school, stating that engineering requires a strong work ethic and dedication. The conversation also highlights the role of chemistry in various aspects of civil engineering. The speaker concludes by stating that a passion for engineering and hard work are crucial for success in the field.
Ammar SH
My question is do I need to be exceptionally well in chemistry 12 university level course when going to university next year. I am planning to go into civil engineering next year in university; It deals with structural and transportation systems?

All advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should strive to do exceptionally well in all things, even the generic history or political science classes. As an engineer, you should get into that mindset straight away.

Also, chemistry is definitely useful for an engineer. I'm an aerospace engineering major myself, and I've found chemistry very helpful, especially the intuition involved.

Regardless of which branch of engineering you go into, you're going to be building or designing... and those objects or systems that you are building / designing / optimizing are more than likely going to involve MATERIALS. Knowing chemistry will help you understand more about the structure of those materials on a microscopic scale, and how those structures might respond under different environmental conditions... including some of the processes that might weaken or degrade those materials (and even stretch them to their limits).

Okay I understand but I was wondering if I could do it in a private school where the course is easier then in day school?

Cause I know a private school where the tests are easier compared to day school?

So do you think I need to know the basics of grade 12 SCH4U or as much as possible?

--thanks

Buddy, I'd seriously advise against engineering for you. If you think you can survive engineering school with an attitude like "I'll go to another school where it's easier", then you're frankly mistaken. And I don't want anyone building a bridge or a dam for me who thinks that way.

Chemistry in civil engineering?

Well let me see

Carbonate attack of concrete

Alkali -silica reaction (otherwise known as concrete cancer)

Sulphate attack in sulphate bearing groundwater

Anodic and cathodic protection of pipelines and other structures

Arrenhius equation in corrosion of prestressing cables

Bogue compounds in cement

Passivation of steel

Polymer - bitumen binders for macadam roadways

Agreed--that attitude leads to semi-functioning engineers and they're the reason our integrity is questioned.

You want an easy major--take history.

If you want to try your hardest and then some all the while loving what you do--pick engineering.

If chemistry is what you're worried about I would love to see you deal with PDE's or Dynamic's.

1. What is the role of chemistry in civil engineering?

Chemistry plays a crucial role in civil engineering as it helps engineers understand the properties and behavior of different materials used in construction, such as concrete, steel, and asphalt. It also helps in designing and testing materials for durability and strength.

2. Is a background in chemistry necessary for a career in civil engineering?

While a background in chemistry is not required for a career in civil engineering, it can be beneficial. Having a strong understanding of chemistry can help engineers make informed decisions about material selection and design structures that are both safe and sustainable.

3. What specific areas of chemistry are relevant to civil engineering?

Some specific areas of chemistry that are relevant to civil engineering include organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and materials chemistry. These fields help engineers understand the chemical composition of materials and how they react under different conditions.

4. What skills can a civil engineer gain from studying chemistry?

Studying chemistry can help civil engineers develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also allows them to gain a deeper understanding of the materials they work with and how they interact with the environment.

5. How does chemistry impact the sustainability of civil engineering projects?

Chemistry plays a vital role in promoting sustainability in civil engineering projects. With a better understanding of chemical reactions, engineers can design structures that are more durable and have a lower environmental impact. Chemistry also helps in finding eco-friendly alternatives to traditional construction materials.