Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil Rights Icon Rosa Parks Dies a 92

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/24/parks.obit/index.html

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A rare example of a person who sat down for what they believed was right. :biggrin:
    It seems so strange to think that the entire history of civil rights since Parks may have been different had she been in a better mood that day. But today we honor a person who broke the law - civil disobedience - because it was the right thing to do; or really, in her case, IIRC, she had simply had enough.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  4. Oct 25, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

I know of her story and what she did, and I admire her resolve. A 92 is a very good age, and it takes wisdom and luck to get there

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4

GENIERE

Science Advisor

The second time I've spilled my coffee reading these forums.

She was a good lady indeed.

6. Oct 26, 2005 #5
    Did you hear Bush's speech honoring her?

He referred to her as "Rosa Park", couldn't even get her name right. Is there nothing that man can't screw up!:mad:

7. Oct 26, 2005 #6
    She was very courageous and helped inspire a generation.

8. Oct 26, 2005 #7
    She was indeed a great lady. It saddens me to see that we honor people like Rosa Parks, yet in today's society it appears that those who stand up for what they believe in are quickly made a mockery of by the general populace.

9. Oct 26, 2005 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

92? and I'm already feeling too old and tired! :blushing:
    Anyway I hope we'll get rid of any kind of racist forever.

10. Oct 26, 2005 #9
    This event should not instill to people that civil disobedience is actually right in ALL cases.

11. Oct 26, 2005 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

stop whining, you're not old.

and yes, that would be good, wouldn't it?

12. Oct 27, 2005 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

All right, grandpa. :blushing: I think you get old when you're afraid of making risks and you don't try to fulfill your dreams. :smile:

Yep,that would be perfect, but first we need to get rid of stupidity and narrow-mindedness. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?