1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clasifying semiconductors according their molecular form

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    That's my question: how can I tell, from the molecular form of the compound, if a compound is an intrinsic semiconductor, an extrinsic type-N semiconductor, or an extrinsic type-P semiconductor?

I can tell the pure intrinsic semiconductors: Si, Ge, C (diamond), etc. I know that if I add an element of the group III to a chain of one of these, I'll get an extrinsic type-N semiconductor, and that if I add an element of the group VI, I'll get an extrinsic type-P semiconductor.

But what if I have no molecules of any element from the group IV? How about when I have InSb, or GaAs? And how about when I have more than two compounds, like GaAsSe?

What's the parameter I have to look at to clasify these compounds?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2
    hey dats determined only by finding out valencies of the elements in the compound

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook