Semiconductor temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the dependency of the number of conduction electrons in an n doped semiconductor on temperature. It is compared to an intrinsic semiconductor and it is suggested to read John McKelvey's "Solid State and Semiconductor Physics" for a complete explanation. There are three temperature regions where the number of electrons varies, depending on the temperature's relationship to the ionization energy of the donor states and the energy gap.
demLara
Hello
I have got a question and i don't know the answer. Please help me.
I have a n doped semiconductor. How does the number of conduction electrons depends on temperature and compare the situation to an intrinsic semiconductor?
Do i look at the intrinsic density, because when it is n doped than n is much bigger than p and the multiplication will be dominated by n. Then i would know the temperature dependence for intrinsic T^3/2 *exp ?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is rather long. I'd suggest reading John McKelvey's "Solid State and Semiconductor Physics". He fully develops how electron and hole concentration vary with temperature.

Try to read about vacuum diode, it uses heat depend transfer. Look also at semiconductor diode to have more reliable info.

I can offer you a short answer.
There are three temperature regions. At very low temperatures, that is, kBT <is less than ionization energy of the donor state, the carriers are frozen out - number of electrons in the conduction band is vary small and the material is essentially an insulator. This occurs at cryogenic temperatures.
The second region is when the kBT is larger than ionization energy of the donor states but much less than energy gap. In this region, all the donor states are ionized and the number of electrons is essentially independent of the temperature.
The third regions is when the temperature is large enough so that the intrinsic carrier concentration becomes equal or greater than the concentration of donors.
In that region, the semiconductor is pretty much intrinsic with the same number of electrons and holes.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-24_21-43-15.png
    upload_2017-11-24_21-43-15.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 600

1. What is a semiconductor temperature sensor?

A semiconductor temperature sensor is a type of temperature sensor that uses the electrical properties of semiconducting materials to measure temperature. These sensors rely on the principle that the electrical resistance of a semiconductor changes with temperature, allowing them to accurately measure temperature changes.

2. How does a semiconductor temperature sensor work?

A semiconductor temperature sensor works by using a semiconducting material, such as silicon or germanium, to measure changes in electrical resistance. As the temperature changes, the resistance of the semiconductor changes, which is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured and interpreted as a temperature reading.

3. What are the advantages of using a semiconductor temperature sensor?

Some advantages of using a semiconductor temperature sensor include its small size, high accuracy, and low cost. These sensors are also highly reliable and have a wide temperature range, making them suitable for a variety of applications.

4. What are some common applications of semiconductor temperature sensors?

Semiconductor temperature sensors are commonly used in a variety of industries and applications such as automotive, consumer electronics, and medical devices. They are also used in household appliances, HVAC systems, and industrial processes to monitor and control temperature.

5. How accurate are semiconductor temperature sensors?

Semiconductor temperature sensors can have high accuracy, with some models having an accuracy of ±0.1°C. However, the accuracy of these sensors can vary depending on the specific model, environmental conditions, and calibration. It is important to carefully select and calibrate the sensor for the intended application to ensure accurate temperature measurements.