Classes that can be effectively learned in a summer semester.

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's concerns about taking difficult classes during the summer semester. They mention their experience with taking ODE's and finding it manageable, but question the effectiveness of learning advanced math in a shorter period of time. They also discuss the difficulty of taking chemistry during the summer and suggest focusing on general education requirements rather than physics classes. The conversation ends with a discussion about the challenges of learning math material in a compressed summer schedule.
hadsed
Long title, but basically a good summation of my question. I hate summer time, every year it's made me feel like a lousy losing loser with all this time on my hands and I never get anything done. So I'm taking 3 classes at a local community college (this is my very first semester of college ever, I just graduated HS). I really like it, although the 4 hour classes are a pain I feel like I'm getting ahead and I learn a lot because most of my time is spent doing something productive.

What I'm worried about, however, are the harder courses. Right now Calc. 1 isn't a problem (mostly because it was self-taught since I had Physics C last year), and so I'm getting ahead in a few other things (mostly calc. 2 stuff at the moment). I'm a physics major and at this moment looking to definitely go on to grad school so I want to make sure that I take classes that aren't terribly difficult to learn but also material that isn't terribly dense, since the summer is always a shorter semester (about half as long, sometimes less, than a normal semester).

So back to the main question, what sort of classes shall I be looking at to take during the summer? Definitely looking to finish up at least one LA elective credit, but would love to take some math classes and possibly physics. By next summer I would be in a position to take differential equations, but I believe that is a difficult subject from what I've researched and 2 months isn't enough time to 'let it sit'. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I took ODE's this summer, the whole thing from first class to final exam was 1 month long (actually a day less), and I did well (94%), I actually found I had more than enough time for it...of course I didn't have a job and really didn't have anything else I had to do, plus I liked the class. I would imagine most computational math classes are doable during the summer.

Really? A lot of people say that it's doable, but isn't it an important part of most advanced mathematics used in physics? The people I've talked to and the things I've read generally suggest that even if you can learn it within that time frame it wouldn't have the same effect as taking it during a longer period of time. That's really my main concern.

Well I don't know, I think that it was better that I took it during the summer because I could focus just on that course and not 5...it's possible that if I did it during a regular semester we would have covered a bit more, I'm not sure...but all the theorems we learned weren't hard to wrap your mind around, like some things in advanced calculus were.

I took math classes a couple summers, those seemed to work well.

One that wasn't so easy: chemistry. In a normal semester it was 3 lectures and 2 labs per week, and they squeezed all that into a summer class. It was brutal.

lisab said:
I took math classes a couple summers, those seemed to work well.

One that wasn't so easy: chemistry. In a normal semester it was 3 lectures and 2 labs per week, and they squeezed all that into a summer class. It was brutal.

was it general or organic chem?

johnnyies said:
was it general or organic chem?

Second semester general. Organic would have been really tough!

lisab said:
Second semester general. Organic would have been really tough!

Hmm, that's what I'm doing this summer...starting tomorrow! :eek:

RunSwimSurf said:
Hmm, that's what I'm doing this summer...starting tomorrow! :eek:

Clear your schedule :smile: and good luck!

Is it possible to take Modern Physics (right after princ. of physics II e&m stuff) during the summer? I will be learning linear algebra and calc. 3 in the spring, would it be possible to do that class and differential equations? Or should I switch the physics class out for a humanities class and simply focus on the math?

hadsed said:
Is it possible to take Modern Physics (right after princ. of physics II e&m stuff) during the summer? I will be learning linear algebra and calc. 3 in the spring, would it be possible to do that class and differential equations? Or should I switch the physics class out for a humanities class and simply focus on the math?

In my opinion, if you're going to take a summer class it's better to choose a general ed requirement over a physics class. You're probably aware that summer classes are more compressed and condensed, and I've found some physics concepts need a bit of time to percolate to get a good understanding. But that's just my experience.

I've taken science classes in the summer only because I had to, in order to meet the prerequisites of a course I needed to take in the fall.

So I'd say take the humanities class unless Modern is a prerequisite for a fall class you're planning to take the following fall.

A math class is doable in the summer, and you can possibly retain most of the information since a significant amount of time will be put into it.

The only problem I ran into is that it usually takes me two days to really "get" math material. This can be a problem when there is a rapid pace every day and material builds on previous material. So it is important for me to look back on previous material a few days later to really understand it and put the pieces together.

1. What types of classes are best suited for a summer semester?

Classes that can be effectively learned in a summer semester are typically fast-paced and intensive courses, such as introductory or general education classes, that cover a broad range of material in a short amount of time. These may include subjects like math, science, or history.

2. Are there any benefits to taking classes in a summer semester?

Yes, there are several benefits to taking classes in a summer semester. These may include the opportunity to graduate early, catch up on missed credits, or lighten the course load during the regular academic year. Additionally, summer classes tend to have smaller class sizes, allowing for more personalized attention from the instructor.

3. Can I still have a break while taking classes in a summer semester?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer multiple sessions within a summer semester, allowing students to take a break between sessions. Additionally, some schools offer online or hybrid courses, which may provide more flexibility in terms of scheduling and breaks.

4. Will the material covered in a summer semester be the same as in a regular semester?

The material covered in a summer semester may be similar to a regular semester, but the pace and intensity may differ. Instructors may condense the material or adjust the curriculum to fit the shorter timeframe. However, the learning outcomes and expectations for the course should remain the same.

5. How can I ensure success in a summer semester class?

To be successful in a summer semester class, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Create a study schedule and stick to it, attend all classes and complete assignments on time. It may also be helpful to reach out to your instructor for any additional support or resources. Additionally, make sure to take care of your physical and mental well-being by getting enough rest and staying hydrated.