Choosing Your Summer Self-Study Path: Math & Physics

• Thread starter stefan10
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is considering self-studying over the summer to improve their mathematics and physics skills. They have a diverse background in math courses and are currently excelling in AP Calculus AB. They are interested in studying undergraduate level mathematics in the most efficient way to maximize their potential in physics courses. Their ultimate interests lie in astrophysics/cosmology and particle physics. They are seeking advice on the order and books to use for comprehensive understanding through self-study.
stefan10
I'm quite overwhelmed by how many options I have to self-study over the summer.

I want to improve my abilities in mathematics and physics before I start my freshman year of college, with plans to major in both. This will be done by self-studying a book or two over the summer. I'll give a basic outline of my abilities.

I started Algebra I in 8th grade, which upon reflection seems to have been more like a pre-algebra class that touched upon algebra. I took geometry in 9th, and Algebra II in 10th(this class omitted many topics/didn't go into the detail necessary. In 11th I took a trigonometry-focused class, with some review of concepts touched upon in Algebra II: functions, logarithms, etc. I am currently in AP Calculus AB and Probability & Statistics(algebra-based; although I can tell when Calculus can be implemented.) I feel as if I am doing very well. I am likely to get a 5 on my AP exam, and I have an A in the class with much less trouble than I had in Trigonometry. In fact, Calculus is the first math course that really has got me interested in math. Before I saw it as a tool, and played with it superficially, but now it seems much more interesting than that. This year, I've been mostly touching upon some pre-calculus topics not covered in my curriculum at my school, due to the poor organization of the courses: Series/Sequences, Matrices(only learned how to add, subtract and multiply in Algebra II), Polar Coordinates, Vectors(first learned about them in algebra-based physics), Conic sections, Parametric Equations, Solving Polynomials(in detail, never even heard of synthetic division until this year),Complex Numbers(only touched upon imaginary numbers) and the Binomial Thereom.

Now that I've finished up all of that, I feel as if there is too much to choose from, and I don't know what would be best for developing my abilities. I know what interests me, mostly Calculus/Analysis, but I don't know what would be useful at which point, nor do I know what level of depth I should focus on. Since Calculus AB only covers 2/3rds of a Single-Variable Calculus course, I was going to self-study the last few chapters in my not-so great book, in regards to self-learning. Then, I considered to instead learn from the beginning using a different book, particularly the highly regarded Apostol's or Spivak's. This is so that I developed 'mathematical maturity.' Although, I don't know how useful that would be if I am to take non-analysis mathematics courses my first semester of college. The two courses being a course that works as an introduction to proofs(focused on sets I think), and a proof-based matrix theory/linear algebra course.

Basically, I'm interested in which order and with which books I should follow for a comprehensive understanding of mathematics, by self-studying. That is the only way I really do learn, and I'm mostly going to use my courses throughout college as a review. Please consider that I want the best order to maximize my potential in physics courses as well. Physics will be my primary major, and mathematics is more of a special interest at this point. Basically, in which order should I learn undergraduate level mathematics, for the most efficient use of my time?

As for physics, this is the book used in the introductory courses offered at the college I will be attending. I understand that it isn't the conventional introductory course according to the reviews. Will there be anything I will miss out on if I learn solely from this? As of now, my entire experience with physics has been Algebra/Trig-based, although I do understand when Calculus can be implemented, mostly within the context of rate of change type of relations, such as position - velocity - acceleration, or work - power. I sat in on a second semester lecture of this course during my visit of the university, and I could grasp things here and there(they were talking about emf), the math involved wasn't a problem, but some of the concepts were the major obstacle. If I were to familiarize myself over the summer, I think the transition will be much easier.

Also, my ultimate interests lie in astrophysics/cosmology and particle physics. At this time, particularly the latter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, I'm interested in which order and with which books I should follow for a comprehensive understanding of mathematics, by self-studying.

No one can have a "comprehensive understanding of mathematics". There are some subjects everyone should learn, but past a certain point, you have to choose which subjects are going to be the most useful/interesting to you.

That is the only way I really do learn, and I'm mostly going to use my courses throughout college as a review. Please consider that I want the best order to maximize my potential in physics courses as well. Physics will be my primary major, and mathematics is more of a special interest at this point. Basically, in which order should I learn undergraduate level mathematics, for the most efficient use of my time?

I'm not sure the order in which you learn subjects matters that much, provided you understand the prerequisites to what you are learning. Also, it may be different for different people. The only thing I would say is that studying linear algebra early on can pay off. Seems like you are already following that advice before I said it. I took ODE, then linear algebra, and it was the wrong order, I think. Also, both classes were too plug-n-chug.

I think choosing the right books and the right approach matters a lot more than order.

Just try to avoid studying a bunch of random topics. Try to understand the relationships between different subjects and maintain some kind of continuity between different subjects. You remember things better if they are connected to other things.

1. What are some benefits of self-studying math and physics over the summer?

Self-studying math and physics over the summer allows you to learn at your own pace and focus on areas that you may have struggled with during the school year. It also helps you stay on top of these subjects and maintain your skills for the upcoming school year. Additionally, self-studying can give you a deeper understanding of the material and allow you to explore topics that may not have been covered in your school curriculum.

2. How should I choose my self-study path for math and physics?

First, assess your current knowledge and skill level in these subjects. This can help you determine which areas you need to focus on more. Then, consider your goals and interests. If you are planning on taking advanced courses in math and physics, you may want to focus on more challenging topics. However, if you just want to maintain your skills, you can choose to review and practice fundamental concepts.

3. What resources are available for self-studying math and physics?

There are many resources available for self-studying math and physics, such as textbooks, online courses, practice problems, and video tutorials. You can also seek help from online forums and communities, or even find a study partner to work with. It may also be helpful to reach out to your teachers or professors for recommendations on resources.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying over the summer?

One way to stay motivated is to set specific goals for yourself and track your progress. This can help you stay focused and give you a sense of accomplishment as you reach each goal. It may also be helpful to create a schedule or study plan to stay organized and on track. Additionally, try to find ways to make studying fun, such as incorporating games or challenging yourself with new and interesting topics.

5. Should I self-study alone or with a group?

This ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Self-studying alone allows you to work at your own pace and focus on your own specific needs. However, studying with a group can provide a sense of accountability and allow you to discuss and learn from others. It may be beneficial to try both methods and see which works best for you.