Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical dynamics recent progress

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    Hi all

I am wondering about recent developments of classical dynamics. It seems most physicists are now devoted to quantum world. Is there any effort to broaden the scopes of classical world?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm going to use a lot of buzzwords, but anyhow...

There's still a lot of theoretical and experimental work on condensed matter systems, especially "soft matter" and the glassy state.

Also biophysics, fluid dynamics, classical field theories, granular materials...

It's a mistake to think that classical physics is complete. There is no theory of viscosity or of fracture, for example.

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3
    Thanks, so how can i find the recent works in particle dynamics or rigid body dynamics? Searching doesn't help.

Thanks again

5. Jan 30, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know where you are searching, but I would try either the Journals of the American Physics Society website (http://publish.aps.org/), PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=PubMed), or search under "rational mechanics". I found several thousand papers easily. There's also a lot of work on molecular dynamics simulations (which I think is of marginal validity, but that's my opinion).

6. Jan 30, 2008 #5
    can anyone give me the journal on
    "pressure and displacement of sound waves by C. T. Tindle, American Journal of Physics, September 1984 or 1986 pg 749

7. Jan 30, 2008 #6
    Thanks, I normally use yahoo or google

8. Jan 31, 2008 #7

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

You can add chaos and chaotic systems to the list.

Also, try searching in Google Scholar rather than the ordinary Google.

Claude.

9. Jan 31, 2008 #8
    Thanks, but yet i didn't find anything on 'rigid body motion'

10. Feb 5, 2008 #9
    adastra,

Per aspera, I suppose. Do you have an account at your local university library? They generally can be procured for the equivalent of 50 USD per year. More than worth it, in my opinion.

11. Feb 5, 2008 #10
    I would say engineering. Its almost nothing but classical dynamics, i.e. Aerospace, Mechanical, and Civil.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  12. Feb 6, 2008 #11
    @ejungkurth :

Well yah i have library membership, but hardly there's any review of F=ma or t=2(Pi)((l/g)^0.5), to tell absolute truth, there's none on that. and unfortunately that's what i am searching, : "REVIEW OF THE LAWS LAID DOWN BY CLASSICAL MECHANICS".

Perhaps i will include more details. Classical mechanics has already been reviewed in extreme cases with quantum and relativistic ideas. But i wonder if there had been in any necessity, to explain some weired experiment of phenomenon perhaps, to modify or review classical mechanics in familiar cases. Maybe some experiment that shows F=m^2.a in a very everyday environment, and everyday scale, and there's been a necessity to review classical mechanics. I am looking for such things.

@Cyrus:

Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any review of laws of classical dynamics is done.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  13. Feb 6, 2008 #12

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a pet peeve of mine: classical dynamics is not subsumed into, or subordinate to, or even an approximation of, quantum mechanics by any stretch. For example, here are some classical phenomena on which a solution via quantum mechanics is totally innappropriate:

Turbulence
    Elasticity/viscoelasticity/viscoplasticity...
    Granular flow
    Shock waves

None of the above are solved problems. Therefore, there is much research on solving them due to the fundamental importance these topics have to modern life: Granular flow affects billions of dollars in food and cosmetics, shock waves in air transport, material properties of real nonlinear materials like composites and biomaterials, etc. etc.

Now, a small subset of mechanics, namely the mechanics of weakly-interacting point particles, has been superceded by quantum mechanics. But that is a tiny portion of life, the universe, and everything.

14. Feb 6, 2008 #13
    I dont know what you mean by this.

15. Feb 7, 2008 #14
    “Why spend so long
    On a theory that’s wrong?”
    Well, it works for your everyday query! (David Morin)

I have a similar position. There are several (almost) disjoint Physics. By disjoint I mean that each one gives good answers in their own application field, but is only loosely conected to the other Physics

Coming back to classical dynamics recent progress I would look at what people like Jerrold E. Marsden, Tudor Ratiu, David Morin,... are doing

16. Feb 7, 2008 #15
    Thanks, please give me how to reach them, and the full list please

17. Feb 7, 2008 #16
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?