1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical electrodynamics -Good conductor

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question given is an electromagnetic wave incident on a vacuum metal interface. The wave is incident normally. We're given that the metal is a good conductor i.e. [tex]\omega \tau <<1 [/tex] where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the collision time of the metal and omega is the angular frequency. The metal is also non-magnetic and the conductivity is of the order of [tex] 10^8 [/tex] Siemens per metre

The first part is easy enough it's just to show that T the transmissivity is equal to 2/n where n is the real part of N the refractive index.

The part that has me stumped is to find the value of [tex]\omega[/tex] so that the fraction of incident power deposited beyond a depth d is maximised

2. Relevant equations

I think the relevant equation is the poynting vector.

I'm taking the time averaged poynting vector for a wave in vacuum as [tex] S_{avg} = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{\epsilon}{\mu}} E_{i}^{2}[/tex] and inside the metal I assume the form[tex] S_{avg} = \frac{1}{4} \sigma_{0} \delta E_{t}^{2} e^{\frac{-2 z}{\delta}[/tex]

Where delta is given as[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\mu \omega \sigma_{0}}}[/tex]

I'm also taking[tex]n=\frac{c}{\omega \delta}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by saying that since the time averaged poynting vectors is independent of x and y in both case we can say
    [tex]\int S_{avg} dA=S_{avg} A[/tex]

Using this I divided the power incident on the surface by the power incident on hte same area but at a distance d below the surface to obtain

[tex]\frac{\delta \sigma_{0}}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{\epsilon}}\frac{E_{t}}{E_{i}}\frac{E_{t}}{E_{i}}e^{\frac{-2 d}{\delta}}[/tex]

but with this I differentiate w.r.t. omega and I can't obtain an answer? It's been bugging me for a while so I hope someone can help me out. Hope the format of the question is ok It's my first time posting here. =D

edit: I forgot to say that I replaced {E_{t}/E_{i}}^2 with 2/n I tried changing the latex code but it won't edit for some reason.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have already assumed that the field decays exponentially on the scale of the skin depth

[tex]\delta=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\mu \omega \sigma_{0}}} [/tex]

But this already gives you the answer: to maximize power deposition beyond d, choose a frequency to make the skin depth greater than d.

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    That makes sense but the question asks for a specific value of the frequency. Initially I thought I'd obtain an equation of the form [tex]\omega e^{-\omega}[/tex] which has a definite maximum value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?