Classical Limit and Angular frequency

In summary, for circular motion in classical mechanics with an arbitrary central potential V(r), the angular frequency w is equal to the derivative of the total energy E with respect to the angular momentum L. This is important for understanding the connection between classical and quantum mechanics for large circular orbits, similar to Bohr's atom. The total energy is given by E=1/2m(\dot{r}^2+L^2/mr^2)+V(r), with L=r^2w m. As the radius must be constant for a circular orbit, the derivative of the potential with respect to L is zero, making w=dE/dL. This is because the potential only depends on the radius, which remains constant for a circular
keniwas

Homework Statement

Show that in classical mechanics, for circular motion, in an arbitrary central potential
V (r), one has w = dE/dL where E is the energy, L is the angular momentum, and w is the
angular frequency of motion around the orbit.

This is the basis for a problem on understanding the correspondence between classical and quantum mechanis in the limit of large circular orbits (i.e. akin to Bohr's atom).

Homework Equations

Total Energy of the system in Circular Motion
[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+\frac{L^2}{mr^2})+V(\vec{r})[/tex]
Where
[tex]L=r^2\omega m[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Once I got the energy in terms of angular momentum, I simply took the derivative with respect to L, however this leaves me with the angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and an additional term from the potential (which I can't find any argument as to why it should be zero in this case...)
[tex]dE/dL = 0+\frac{L}{mr^2}+\frac{dV}{dL}=\omega+\frac{dV}{dL}[/tex]

I am clearly missing somthing important in the problem... is my form for the total energy of the system wrong? or is there somthing special about the central potential I am missing?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think, simply, as its a circular motion, the r has to be constant making the potential constant. Which makes the derivative zero.

PS--Be a bit more clear in your problem, as I think the [tex] \dot{r}^2 [/tex] is different from the other "r" in the system (though it wouldn't matter for the problem). are you considering a point mass?

It would be a point mass (or as close as you can get to one as an electron). The [tex]\dot{r}^2[/tex] would be the velocity in the radial direction (i.e. a change in the radius of your circular orbit).

I thought something similar to the logic regarding a fixed circular orbit, however if I change my angular momentum will that not nessecarily correspond to a change in the potential of the system? Since a change in angular momentum would change the effective radius?

For a circular orbit, the radius must be constant, so [itex]\dot{r}=0[/itex].

Your potential is given in the functional form [itex]V=V(r)[/itex] suggesting it depends only only the radius, which is constant for a circular orbit

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial L}=\frac{\partial r}{\partial L}\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}=(0)\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}[/tex]

Thank you for the help!

1. What is the Classical Limit?

The Classical Limit refers to the point at which classical physics theories break down and cannot accurately predict or explain the behavior of a system. It is typically seen at very small scales, such as in the realm of quantum mechanics.

2. How is Angular Frequency related to Classical Limit?

Angular frequency, also known as angular velocity, is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating. In the context of the Classical Limit, angular frequency is used to describe the motion of particles at the atomic level. As the Classical Limit is approached, the angular frequency becomes more and more uncertain, reflecting the uncertainty in the position and momentum of the particle.

3. Can the Classical Limit be surpassed?

No, the Classical Limit is a fundamental limit in physics and cannot be surpassed. At very small scales, the behavior of particles is better described by quantum mechanics rather than classical mechanics.

4. What are some examples of systems where the Classical Limit is important?

The Classical Limit is important in many areas of physics, such as in the study of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. It is also relevant in the fields of astronomy and cosmology, where the behavior of celestial bodies is often described by classical mechanics.

5. How does the Classical Limit affect our understanding of the world?

The Classical Limit challenges our understanding of the world and forces us to rethink the fundamental principles of classical physics. It has led to the development of new theories, such as quantum mechanics, that better explain the behavior of particles at small scales. It also highlights the limitations of classical physics and the need for more advanced theories to fully understand the complexities of the universe.