1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mech non-inertial frame bead on a rotating ring

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

haEse.png

Consider the bead threaded on a cicular hoop of example 7.6 (pg 260), working in a frame that rotates with the hoop. find the equation of motion of the bead, and check that your result agrees with eq 7. 69. Using a free body diagram explain the result 7.71 for equilibrium positions

2. Relevant equations

d2θ/dt2 = (ω2cosθ - g/R)sinθ 7.69

θo = ±arccos(g/ω2R) 7.72

3. The attempt at a solution

In the inertial frame there is going to be a centrifugal force coriolus force and force of gravity

Feff = Fg + Fcf + Fcor

by the diagram

Fcf = mRω2sinθ Not sure about the direction

( I'm thinking it wouldn't really be in the r hat direction. more like Rcosθ. sounds redundant but i'm not sure how to explain it.)

Fcor = -2mvΩcosθ because it is in the southern hemisphere so it would deflect left which would oppose the gravitational force

I assume Feff = mR2[d2θ/dt2]

I can solve this problem by lagrange method, but i'm not fully understanding this non-inertial ref frame.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2
    Suprisingly enough i actually did it right

Feff is mR(d2θ/dt2) = mRΩ2sinθ(rho_hat) -mgRsinθ

where rho_hat is cosθ

Deduced this by saying r' = r therefore R has to equal zero, but capital R is not the same as the radius in the equation above

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook