1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics: Coriolis Effect Problem

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bird of mass 2 kg is flying at 10 m/s in latitude of 60° N, heading due East. Find the horizontal and vertical components of the Coriolis force acting on it.

2. Relevant equations
    The Coriolis Force, F = 2mwv. Where ∧ shows the cross product between angular frequency vector, w, and change in the position vector, v.

Θ will be the co-latitude -- that is, 90°- 60° = 30°.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by deciding that my coordinates would be oriented so that x points East, y points North, and z points straight up (away from the earth). Thus, I believe, w = {wcosΘ, 0, 0} since the bird flies only East.

So taking the Cross product with v = {x' , y' , z'} (where ' indicates the change in position), I receive the following vector {0 , -z'cosΘ , y'cosθ}. Now, I've shown the product vector without the coefficients, because my confusion arises at the presence of the y' and z's. Exactly what am I to do about them?

It's one of those problems where I can't tell if I'm missing something terribly basic, or having been working under a more general misapprehension. I'd very much appreciate any help!

p.s. This is my first post in the forum, and so I'm sure I've broken a plethora of the rules/etiquettes for which you must forgive me.

p.p.s. This is not a homework problem, just a kind of review (which makes the fact that I'm struggling with it so much more embarrassing), so don't feel ashamed at helping me cheat!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

You miss a minus sign. The Coriolis force is F = -2mwv.

The angular velocity is a vector parallel to the axis of rotation of Earth and pointing upward. In your coordinate system it has both y and z components, and zero x component.

The velocity vector is (10, 0,0) as it has only East (x) component.

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    Oh my god. Thank you so much!

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted