Classical mechanics: Force versus time graph

In summary, the conversation discussed a particle with a mass of 4.0 kg moving along the x-axis, acted upon by a variable single force. The initial velocity of the particle was given as -3 m/s and the goal was to find the first moment in time when the particle comes to a stop momentarily. Through the use of calculus and the understanding of the area under a force versus time curve, the solution was found to be 3.375 seconds.
REVIANNA

Homework Statement

force_vs_time_graph.png

A particle of mass m=4.0 kg is moving along the x-axis. The particle is being acted upon by a variable single force F⃗ , directed along the x-axis. At t=0 s, the particle is moving at v_0=−3 m/s.

What is the first time t>0 when the particle comes to a stop momentarily?

The Attempt at a Solution

because I know the initial velocity ,I know the initial momentum and I know the final momentum too(as the particle stops temporarily) but the force is variable otherwise I would have equated change in momentum to the impulse imparted.and found the time t.

what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does area under a Force vs Time curve represent?

gneill said:
What does area under a Force vs Time curve represent?

it represents impulse.

##mv_f-mv_i=J##
##0-m(-3)=∫F. dt##

REVIANNA said:
it represents impulse.

##mv_f-mv_i=J##
##0-m(-3)=∫F. dt##
So you'll have to calculate the value of t at which the area of the curve becomes 12.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
So you'll have to calculate the value of t at which the area of the curve becomes 12.

how will I do it? I don't have the force as a fn of time.

REVIANNA said:
I don't have the force as a fn of time.
You do.
ses.edx.org%2Fasset-v1%3AMITx%2B8.MechCx_2%2B2T2015%2Btype%40asset%2Bblock%2Fforce_vs_time_graph.png

First you need to formulate F as a function of time between various intervals.

cnh1995 said:
you need to formulate F as a function of time between various intervals.

you mean from 0 to 1 sec its 2.5
from 1 to 4 its 12

but the answer is 3.375

REVIANNA said:
answer is 3.375
Indeed it is. That's the final answer.
REVIANNA said:
from 1 to 4 its 12
No. From t=0 to t=1, what is F(t) and so on..

cnh1995 said:
Indeed it is. That's the final answer.

No. From t=0 to t=1, what is F(t) and so on..
Ok right, if you are talking in terms of areas directly..

cnh1995 said:
if you are talking in terms of areas directly..

area under the f/t curve is all I know what else are you saying.also I am fairly new to calculus

REVIANNA said:
from 1 to 4 its 12
Ok. So, from 0 to 4, the area is 14.5. So, t must be between 1 to 4. Agree? Because total area is 12 and out of that, 2.5 is already in between 0 to 1.

cnh1995 said:
Ok. So, from 0 to 4, the area is 14.5. So, t must be between 1 to 4. Agree?

yes totally because of the areas.

REVIANNA said:
So, from t=1 to t=4, you need to find at what value of t will the area be 9.5(i.e. 12-2.5). Can you do it?

REVIANNA said:
You know its a rectangle from t=1 to t=4. You know the height. I believe the answer is in plain sight. Good luck..

Likes REVIANNA
cnh1995 said:
answer is in plain sight

##∫F.dt+F_c(t-1)=-mv_i##
(the integral is form t=0 to t=1) (c means const)
## 2.5+4(t-1)=-4*(-3)##
##t=3.375##

@cnh1995
thank you

Likes cnh1995

1. What is a force versus time graph in classical mechanics?

A force versus time graph in classical mechanics is a graphical representation of the relationship between the force acting on an object and the time during which the force is applied. It is used to analyze the motion of objects and understand the forces that are acting on them.

2. How is the slope of a force versus time graph interpreted?

The slope of a force versus time graph represents the acceleration of the object. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration. This is based on the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

3. What does the area under a force versus time graph represent?

The area under a force versus time graph represents the impulse of the force acting on the object. This is calculated by taking the integral of the force over the time interval. The impulse is a measure of how much the force changes the object's momentum.

4. What information can be obtained from a force versus time graph?

A force versus time graph can provide information about the motion of an object, including its acceleration, velocity, and position. It can also reveal the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object, as well as the duration of those forces.

5. How is a force versus time graph used in real-world applications?

A force versus time graph is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the motion of objects and design systems that can withstand different forces. It is also used in sports science to analyze the performance and movements of athletes. Additionally, it is used in the study of collisions and other interactions between objects.