1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics - Learning Guidance

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    Hi

I am looking for some advice. Would like a bit of guidance into any good resources and specific maths/physics disciplines to study in relation to what I would term 'sports classical mechanics'.

Not looking for any university or specific course references at the moment unless you think it would define a good overview of subjects needing to be covered.

Specifically I want to learn more about the interaction of competitors in sporting events over differing conditions. Would like to be able to review the impact of differing conditions, tactics and competitors on performance and energy consumption.

What would be some good resources for the maths/physics behind this? This seems to relate to classical mechanics to me but if I am wrong please feel free to advise.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2
    Sounds more like exercise physiology or sports psychology than math or physics. Of course, it would be good to know basic classical mechanics for that, I suppose.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    Well sports physiology is relevant, pyschology though is non physical. I want to look at the physical interactions between objects (people, cars, whatever given object etc) given different environment and circumstance. Specifically how adjusting one variable participant, weather, surface type impacts an overall result.

I guess in someway this relates more to a limited scope of chaos.

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4
  6. Sep 27, 2012 #5
    Would Abstract Algebra be appropriate?

7. Sep 27, 2012 #6
    I have trouble seeing it as having much relevance.

It might be interesting to try to apply game theory to sports. I don't know if it would work, but it's a thought. Probability and statistics are applicable for sure.

8. Sep 27, 2012 #7
    I had considered game theory, but I guess I was looking at the fact that statistics can provide information on previous effort known speeds and acceleration. Courses are shaped differently and can have different surfaces. In some sports the tightness of corners will advantage some. If we then take known performance/tactics into account we may have to adjust average speed, the starting speed and the finishing speeds.

If we look at it from a limited chaos perspective of how the main competitors with most influential impacts could alter the performances speeds/energies of the other competitors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook