Classical Mechanics - Learning Guidance

In summary, this person is looking for advice on which disciplines to study to better understand the physical interactions between objects in different environments. They are specifically looking for advice on sports classical mechanics, game theory, and probability and statistics.
flebber
Hi

I am looking for some advice. Would like a bit of guidance into any good resources and specific maths/physics disciplines to study in relation to what I would term 'sports classical mechanics'.

Not looking for any university or specific course references at the moment unless you think it would define a good overview of subjects needing to be covered.

Specifically I want to learn more about the interaction of competitors in sporting events over differing conditions. Would like to be able to review the impact of differing conditions, tactics and competitors on performance and energy consumption.

What would be some good resources for the maths/physics behind this? This seems to relate to classical mechanics to me but if I am wrong please feel free to advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds more like exercise physiology or sports psychology than math or physics. Of course, it would be good to know basic classical mechanics for that, I suppose.

Well sports physiology is relevant, pyschology though is non physical. I want to look at the physical interactions between objects (people, cars, whatever given object etc) given different environment and circumstance. Specifically how adjusting one variable participant, weather, surface type impacts an overall result.

I guess in someway this relates more to a limited scope of chaos.

Would Abstract Algebra be appropriate?

Would Abstract Algebra be appropriate?

I have trouble seeing it as having much relevance.

It might be interesting to try to apply game theory to sports. I don't know if it would work, but it's a thought. Probability and statistics are applicable for sure.

homeomorphic said:
I have trouble seeing it as having much relevance.

It might be interesting to try to apply game theory to sports. I don't know if it would work, but it's a thought. Probability and statistics are applicable for sure.

I had considered game theory, but I guess I was looking at the fact that statistics can provide information on previous effort known speeds and acceleration. Courses are shaped differently and can have different surfaces. In some sports the tightness of corners will advantage some. If we then take known performance/tactics into account we may have to adjust average speed, the starting speed and the finishing speeds.

If we look at it from a limited chaos perspective of how the main competitors with most influential impacts could alter the performances speeds/energies of the other competitors.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of objects under the influence of forces. It is one of the oldest and most fundamental branches of physics, and it is used to understand and predict the behavior of objects ranging from subatomic particles to entire galaxies.

2. What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force, and that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Other important principles include conservation of energy and momentum, and the principle of least action.

3. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics and quantum mechanics are two different theories used to describe the behavior of objects on different scales. Classical mechanics is used to describe the motion of large objects, while quantum mechanics is used to describe the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics includes probabilistic behavior.

4. What are some applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has a wide range of applications, including predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in astronomy, designing structures and machines in engineering, and understanding the behavior of fluids in fluid mechanics. It is also used in fields such as biomechanics, acoustics, and thermodynamics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of classical mechanics?

To improve your understanding of classical mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples. Reading textbooks and watching lectures from reputable sources can also aid in understanding the concepts and principles of classical mechanics.