Classical Mechanics: Linear movement against a constant force

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student struggling with solving an integral in a physics problem involving a boat slowing down due to resistive force. The student asks for help in identifying mistakes and solving the integral, while the expert suggests a method to approach the integral.
cemtu
Homework Statement
A boat with initial velocity Vo starts to slow down by the resistive force F=-b(e^cv) (b and c are constants v is the velocity of the boat) by water when the engines are stopped.
a)Find the velocity v(t)
b)Find the time required for the boat to stop
c)Find the distance until the boat completely stop
Relevant Equations
## F = mdv/dt = -b(e^c)^v ##
I solved this question until the end of the "c)Find the distance until the boat completely stop"
However I can not solve the integral I encounter in the solution of the last part of c).

Would you please check for math and maybe my mistakes and tell me what to do? Here:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 22.24.44.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 22.24.44.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 177
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 22.28.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 22.28.21.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 172
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you identify the mistake in this line?
1577911726789.png

Likes cemtu
Awful sign and writing mistakes. :D
Thank you mister TSny! However, correcting these writing mistakes does not help me solve the integral at part c) of my question. :D

cemtu said:
Homework Statement:: A boat with initial velocity Vo starts to slow down by the resistive force F=-b(e^cv)
Are you sure this is a correct statement of the problem? Note what happens at v=0.
Is it perhaps a force ##F=-b(e^{cv}-1)## ? But that would make for a very nasty integral.

Last edited:
cemtu said:
solve the integral at part c)
I assume you now have an integral of the form ##\int \ln(At+B).dt##. When faced with ##\int f(t).dt## which you don't know, a good place to start is tf(t). Differentiate that to see what you get and what adjustments you need to make.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and is used to predict the behavior of objects in everyday life.

2. What is linear movement?

Linear movement refers to the motion of an object in a straight line. This means that the object's displacement and velocity are in the same direction.

3. What is a constant force?

A constant force is a force that does not change in magnitude or direction over time. It is also known as a balanced force, as it does not cause any acceleration or change in the motion of an object.

4. How does a constant force affect linear movement?

A constant force causes a constant acceleration in linear movement. This means that the velocity of an object changes at a constant rate, resulting in a straight-line motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of linear movement against a constant force?

Some common examples of linear movement against a constant force include a car traveling at a constant speed on a flat road, a person throwing a ball in a straight line, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.