1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics-Moments of Inertia and Torques

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a)Two people are holding the ends of a plank of length l and mass M. Show that, if one suddenly lets go, the initial acceleration of the free end (aD) is 3g/2. (7 marks).

Moment of inertia, I, of the plank about its centre of mass is given by I=1/12(Ml2)

b)Show also that the load supported by the other person falls from Mg/2 to Mg/4. (3 Marks).
    2. Relevant equations
    I*angular acceleration=torque=rxF

parallel axis theorem for the moment of inertia
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have completed the first 7 marks with no difficulty but am really struggling with how to set part b) up and what assumptions I need to make. I've spent hours and hours on this and have ended up going round in circles.

I think I may need to calculate the linear acceleration of the centre of the plank and from this deduce the new load on the other hand. However I have not made much progress with this part of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's exactly what you have to do. What forces act on the body? Apply Newton's 2nd law.

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3
    So I need to calculate the linear acceleration of the centre of the plank then apply newtons 2nd law to this? This would give the net force on the plank? After this I could deduce that the the net force=mg-(the load on the other hand? Would this work?

5. Dec 3, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted