1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mechanics - small movements around equilibrium

1. Jun 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two cylinders, that can rotate around their vertical axis, are connected with a spring as shown in the picture. Moment of inertia ##J## is the same for both and they also have the same radius ##R##. Distance between the axes is ##L##. Spring with constant ##k## is ##d## long (not deformed). Also note that ##d<L-2R##. Describe small movements of the system.

Capturedd.JPG
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let's say that we will measure the rotation of left cylinder with ##\varphi ## and rotation of the right one with ##\vartheta ##.

The kinetic energy is than ##T=\frac{1}{2}J(\dot{\varphi }^2+\dot{\vartheta }^2)##

Now lets use notation ##\eta =\begin{bmatrix}
    \varphi \\
    \vartheta
    \end{bmatrix}##, therefore kinetic energy is ##T=\frac{1}{2}\dot{\eta }^T \tilde{T}\eta ## where ##\tilde{T}=\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 0\\
    0& 1
    \end{bmatrix}##.

Now for kinetic energy we have to find out how much the spring deforms. Let's take a closer rook at the left cylinder:

The deformation here is ##x_1=R(1-cos\varphi )##. Using taylor expansion around equilibrium state which is ##\varphi =0## tells me that ##x_1=R(1-(1-\frac{1}{2}\varphi ^2))=\frac{R}{2}\varphi ^2##

The same goes for the other side, therfore ##x_2=\frac{R}{2}\vartheta ^2##

So potential energy of the system is ##V=\frac{1}{2}k(x_1+x_2)^2=\frac{kR^2}{8}(\varphi ^2+\vartheta ^2)^2##.

Now what worries me is that there is no way (or at least I don't see it) to write that last expression for ##V## using vector ##\eta ##.

Why do I want to do that? Because using ##det(V-\omega ^2T)=0## will tell me everything I need to know about this system.

Where did I get it wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have left out the key things that cause the motion of the system.

The displacement of the end of the spring is not just ##x_1##, but also ##y_1 = R\sin\varphi##.

Also the spring has an initial potential energy, because it is stretched between the cylinders. The initial stretch is ##L - 2R - d##. When the system moves the length of the spring changes from ##L - 2R## to ##\sqrt{(L -2R + x_2 - x_1)^2 + (y_2-y_1)^2}##.

Since the question says the displacements are small, you can approximate everything to first order in ##\varphi## and ##\vartheta##.

Since the question sa

4. Jun 9, 2014 #3
    hmmm... Ok, if I approximate everything to first order, than

##x_1=R(1-cos\varphi )\doteq 0## and also ##x_2=R(1-cos\vartheta )\doteq 0## are both ##0##?

##y_1=Rsin\varphi \doteq R\varphi ## and ##y_2=Rsin\vartheta \doteq R\vartheta ##.

Than the deformation of the spring is ##\Delta L= \sqrt{(L-2R+(x_1+x_2))^2+(y_2-y_1)^2}-(L-2R)##. (I think that's what you meant and that ##-x_1## is just a typo. right?

5. Jun 9, 2014 #4
    If yes, than ##\Delta L= \sqrt{(L-2R+(x_1+x_2))^2+(y_2-y_1)^2}-(L-2R) \doteq (L-2R)(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{R^2}{(L-2R)^2}(\varphi -\vartheta )^2)-(L-2R)=\frac{R^2}{2(L-2R)}(\varphi -\vartheta )^2##

Where I can't see how this helps me since ##V=\frac{1}{2}k(\Delta L)^2##

6. Jun 9, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was taking ##x_1## and ##x_2## positive to the right, and ##y_1## and ##y_2## positive up.

The sign convention doesn't matter so long as you are consistent, of course. Be careful about the signs of the ##y##'s and the angles!

No, the spring is stretched initially. If the length increases by ##\Delta L##, the strain energy changes from ##\frac 1 2 k (L - 2R - d)^2## to ##\frac 1 2 k (L - 2R - d + \Delta L)^2##.

7. Jun 9, 2014 #6
    You've lost me. I have come so far:

Initial stretch: ##s_0=(L-2R)-d##

For rotation ##\varphi ## and ##\vartheta ## the length of the spring changes for ##\Delta L=\sqrt{(L-2R)^2+R^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2}-(L-2R)##

Than the total stretch is
    ##s=s_0+\Delta L=(L-2R)-d+\sqrt{(L-2R)^2+R^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2}-(L-2R)=\sqrt{(L-2R)^2+R^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2}-d##.

If I put this in ##V=\frac{1}{2}ks^2=\frac{1}{2}k(\sqrt{(L-2R)^2+R^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2}-d)^2## I get all sorts of nasty things where the most horrible part is that I don't get rid of that sqrt....

8. Jun 9, 2014 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let ##A = L - 2R## to simplify the algebra a bit.

The length of the spring at an arbitrary position (assuming the angles are small) is ##\sqrt{A^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2}##.

The unstretched length was ##d##, so the strain energy is ##\frac k 2 \left[ \sqrt{A^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2} - d\right]^2##.

##V = \frac k 2\left [A^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2 - 2d\sqrt{A^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2} + d^2\right]##.
    The constant terms in ##V## don't matter.
    ##\frac k 2 R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2## is a nice quadratic form already.
    The remaining term is ##-kd\sqrt{A^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2}
    = -kdA\sqrt{1 + (\frac R A)^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2}##.
    Expand the square root to first order using the Binomial theorem (since the angles are small) and you get another constant, and another nice quadratic form.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  9. Jun 9, 2014 #8
    Jup, that makes much more sense than my notes. I will try tu use the same notation as you did.

##V = \frac k 2\left [A^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2 - 2d\sqrt{A^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2} + d^2\right]##
    if we forget about the constant terms
    ##V = \frac k 2 R^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2 - kd\sqrt{A^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2}=##
    ##= \frac k 2 R^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2 - kdA \sqrt{1 + (\frac R A)^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2}=##
    ##= \frac k 2 R^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2 - kdA(1 + \frac 1 2 (\frac R A)^2(\varphi - \vartheta )^2)##
    again forgetting about constants leaves me with

##V=\frac k 2 R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2 -\frac{kdR^2}{2A}(\varphi - \vartheta)^2=##
    ##=(\varphi - \vartheta)^2(\frac k 2 R^2-\frac{kdR^2}{2A})## for less writing lets say that ##C=\frac k 2 R^2-\frac{kdR^2}{2A}##

so finally

##V=C(\varphi ^2-2\varphi \vartheta + \vartheta ^2)##

Does this sound ok?

10. Jun 9, 2014 #9

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks good to me.

If you write the constant as ##\frac k 2 R^2(1 - \frac d A )##, you can see why the question said that ##d < A##. :smile:

11. Jun 9, 2014 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I think there are some terms missing from V. If you keep the ##x## displacements, the length of the spring is ##\sqrt{(A + \frac R 2 (\varphi^2 + \vartheta^2))^2 + R^2(\varphi - \vartheta)^2}##.

If you go through the same process as before, that will give some more second order terms in ##\varphi## and ##\vartheta##, for example ##AR(\varphi^2 + \vartheta^2)##.

The terms in ##\varphi## and ##\vartheta## higher than second order can be ignored.

12. Jun 10, 2014 #11
    Huh, I agree.

I did some calculations, and hopefully you won't find any mistakes:

##x_1=\frac 1 2 R\varphi ^2## and ##x_2=\frac 1 2 R\vartheta ^2## and
    ##y_1=R\varphi ## and ##y_2=R\vartheta ##

The total stretch of the spring is than ##s=s_0+\Delta L##
    ##s=(A-d)+(\sqrt{[A+\frac R 2 (\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)]^2+R^2[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2}-A)=##
    ##=\sqrt{[A+\frac R 2 (\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)]^2+R^2[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2}-d##.

Now ##s^2=[A+\frac R 2 (\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)]^2+R^2[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2+d^2-2d\sqrt{[A+\frac R 2 (\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)]^2+R^2[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2}=## (In every step possible I will simply forget about all the constants)
    ##=AR (\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)+R^2[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2-2d\sqrt{A^2[1+\frac{R}{2A}(\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)^2+\frac{R^2}{A^2} (\varphi -\vartheta )^2]} =##
    ##=AR (\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)+R^2[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2-2dA(1+\frac 1 2[\frac{R}{2A}(\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)^2+\frac{R^2}{A^2}(\varphi -\vartheta )^2])=##
    ##=AR (\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)+R^2[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2-\frac{dR}{2}(\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)-\frac{dR^2}{A}[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2##

Using ##C=AR-\frac{dR}{2}## and ##D=R^2-\frac d A R^2##

##s^2=C(\varphi ^2+ \vartheta ^2)+D[\varphi -\vartheta ]^2##

So finally ##V=\frac 1 2 k[\varphi ^2(C+D)-2\varphi \vartheta D +\vartheta ^2(C+D)]## which is the same as

##V=\frac 1 2 k \eta ^T\begin{bmatrix}
    C+D & -D\\
    -D&C+D
    \end{bmatrix}\eta##

Finally I can start calculating ##det(V-\omega ^2 T)=det(V-\frac{J\omega ^2 }{k}T)=0## where ##\omega _k^2=\frac k J##.

If everything is ok, I get two eigenvalues of the system: ##\frac{\omega ^2}{\omega _k^2}=\lambda=C+D\pm D## and accordingly two eigen vectors that describe possible movements of my system

## \eta_1=(1,1)## and ##\eta _2=(1,-1)## as expected.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted