1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classifaction of equilibrium points for a Hamiltonian System

1. May 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the system:
    [tex]
    \frac{dx}{dt}=x\cos{xy}
    \: \:
    \frac{dy}{dt}=-y\cos{xy}[/tex]
    (a) is Hamiltonian with the function:
    [tex]
    H(x,y)=\sin{xy}[/tex]
    (b) Sketch the level sets of H, and
    (c) sketch the phase portrait of the system. Include a description of all equilibrium points and any saddle connections.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial y}=y\cos{xy}=-g \\
    \frac{\partial H}{\partial x}=x\cos{xy}=f[/tex]
    So the function is Hamiltonian. I see that the equilibrium points are (0,0) and (±√π/2,±√π/2) by inspection. The problem I have is that the second set of equilibria have complex roots, but I don't see any of that behavior when I graph the phase portrait with pplane.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The equation ##\cos(xy) = 0## has many solutions of the form ##xy = (2k + 1)\frac{\pi}2##, with k an integer. The point you show is just one equilibrium point.
    How are you getting this (the complex roots)?

4. May 19, 2016 #3
    I didn't approximate so I may have made a mistake typing it into my calculator. I'll approximate and see if I get something else. Maybe that's the problem.

5. May 20, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I used plain old algebra, so I don't see how using approximations would be helpful.

6. May 20, 2016 #5
    I get a Jacobian matrix of:
    [tex]
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \cos{xy}-y\sin{xy} & -x^2\sin{xy} \\
    xy\sin{xy} & xy\sin{xy}-\cos{xy}
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]
    So then my matrix for that second point becomes:
    [tex]
    \begin{bmatrix}
    -\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} & -\frac{\pi}{2} \\
    \frac{\pi}{2} & \frac{\pi}{2}
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]
    Then using the trace and determinant I get:
    [tex]
    \lambda^2-\Bigg(\frac{\pi}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\Bigg)\lambda-\Bigg(\Big(\frac{\pi}{2}\Big)^\frac{3}{2}-\Big(\frac{\pi}{2}\Big)^2\Bigg)[/tex]
    So then the quadradic would be:
    [tex]
    \frac{\Bigg(\frac{\pi}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\Bigg)\pm\sqrt{\Bigg(\frac{\pi}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\Bigg)^2+4\Bigg(\big(\frac{\pi}{2}\big)^\frac{3}{2}-\big(\frac{\pi}{2}\big)^2\Bigg)}}{2}[/tex]

That is why I wanted to approximate and when I do, I still get a spiral, but this time a source. I used 1.51 as an approximation for π/2 and 1.25 for√π/2 then my approximation for b in the quadradic was 0.32 and c was 0.50. I hope I'm not completely missing something here.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted