Finding Equilibrium Points and Sketching Phase Portrait for a System of DEs

  • Thread starter Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equilibrium Points
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
436
Reaction score
13
Homework Statement
Find the equilibrium points of the system, determine their type and sketch the phase portrait.

##\frac{dx}{dt} = -3y + xy - 10, \frac{dy}{dt} = y^2 - x^2##

The attempt at a solution

Putting it together:

##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y^2 - x^2}{-3y + xy - 10} \equiv \frac{Q(x,y)}{P(x,y)}##

Here, we see that the horizontal nullclines are plotted along the line ##y = \pm x## and the vertical nullclines along the curve ##y = \frac{10}{x - 3}##.

We form the Jacobian, i.e.

J = ##\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
P_x & P_y \\
Q_x & Q_y
\end{array}
\right)## = ##\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
y & x - 3 \\
-2x & -2y
\end{array}
\right)##

So ##-tr(J) = y## and ##det(J) = 2x^2 - 2y^2 - 3##.

My question is, where do I go from here? Through using a differential equation plotter, I can see that the equilibrium points are a spiral source and spiral sink at (5,5) and (-2,-2) respectively. How does one deduce this from the Jacobian?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I've overcomplicated it -- all I needed to do was solve that system of DEs for x and y (substituting x = y).

The magic of the Homework board strikes again!