1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classification of Second-Order PDE with Constant Coefficients

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have 3 equations:

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}+4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}-4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

I know their classification (first one is elliptical, second one is parabolic, third one is hyperbolic).
    I need to find their characteristics. How do I do that?
    What is a characteristic?
    I think that the one who is elliptical has no characteristic, the parabolic has only one and the hyperbolic has two.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is true. But how could you know that (or what it means) if you don't know what a "characteristic" is?
    A characteristic is a curve upon which the partial differential equation separates into two ordinary differential equations. For example, if I associate the last formula (These are NOT equations because there is no "=". Did you mean "= 0"?) with "[itex]T^2- 4TX+ X^2[/itex] then by "completing the square" I get [itex]T^2- 4TX+ 4X^2- 3X^2= (T- 2X)^2- (\sqrt{3}X)^2= (T- 2X+\sqrt{3}X)(T- 2X- \sqrt{3}X)[/itex]

So the "characteristics" are the curves [itex]t- (2-\sqrt{3})x= C[/itex] and [itex]t- (2+ \sqrt{3})x= C[/itex] for C any constant.

Similarly, for the parabolic equation, we can write [itex]T^2+ 4TX+ 4X^2=N (T+ 2X)^2[/itex] and so have the single characteristic [itex]t+ 2x= C[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted