• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Classification of Second-Order PDE with Constant Coefficients

• Thread starter kgal
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I have 3 equations:

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}+4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}-4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

I know their classification (first one is elliptical, second one is parabolic, third one is hyperbolic).
I need to find their characteristics. How do I do that?
What is a characteristic?
I think that the one who is elliptical has no characteristic, the parabolic has only one and the hyperbolic has two.

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, that is true. But how could you know that (or what it means) if you don't know what a "characteristic" is?
A characteristic is a curve upon which the partial differential equation separates into two ordinary differential equations. For example, if I associate the last formula (These are NOT equations because there is no "=". Did you mean "= 0"?) with "[itex]T^2- 4TX+ X^2[/itex] then by "completing the square" I get [itex]T^2- 4TX+ 4X^2- 3X^2= (T- 2X)^2- (\sqrt{3}X)^2= (T- 2X+\sqrt{3}X)(T- 2X- \sqrt{3}X)[/itex]

So the "characteristics" are the curves [itex]t- (2-\sqrt{3})x= C[/itex] and [itex]t- (2+ \sqrt{3})x= C[/itex] for C any constant.

Similarly, for the parabolic equation, we can write [itex]T^2+ 4TX+ 4X^2=N (T+ 2X)^2[/itex] and so have the single characteristic [itex]t+ 2x= C[/itex].

Likes 1 person