Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classify the personality of the Internet

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Classify the "personality" of the Internet

All of them.

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

To use a medical term: schizophrenic.

You could possibly even throw in pathological, psychotic, bipolar, anti-social, schizo-affective, disassociative, dissonant, sociopathic, psychopathic, hypocritical, egotistical, caring, considerate, consolidated, creative, cynical, disruptive, deceitful, defending, repulsive, responsible, insightful, intriguing, curious, awesome and somewhat surprising.

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4

rhody

Gold Member

:rofl:

Every trait people willfully decide to act out if they were in fact anonymous, except for mental illness, they are what they are regardless of interacting with net. I am amazed at what people will say and do in video's on the net, and (edited for phoenix, in chatrooms).

Rhody...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. Feb 12, 2012 #5

No, people have done that in chatrooms.

7. Feb 12, 2012 #6

How do you define "schizophrenic" here? (Off the top of your head.o:))

8. Feb 13, 2012 #7

Ryan_m_b

:rofl: excellent answer :smile:
    The negative aspect of this is seen in the online disinhibition effect

9. Feb 13, 2012 #8

Anarchistic. In the positive sense.

10. Feb 13, 2012 #9
  11. Feb 13, 2012 #10

chiro

Science Advisor

I won't use the medical definition, but for these purposes people that really have a split mind: in other words they act in ways that completely contradict what they have said previous on such orders of magnitude.

I understand that people change their mind and acknowledge the changes and their their past and present viewpoints but those are not what I am talking about.

12. Feb 13, 2012 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're talking about multiple personality disorder, which is often misnamed as schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a different disorder which (for example) induces hallucinations; delusions and poor emotional responses.

13. Feb 13, 2012 #12

fluidistic

Gold Member

Wise, nice, submissive.

14. Feb 13, 2012 #13

chiro

Science Advisor

Remember that I said that I am not using the medical definition. I didn't intend to put this in a medical context which is why I made the specific statement I did in the first line of my reply.

I used the interpretation of 'split mind' which is what schizophrenia corresponds to in the context of attributes found in the internet: I am not talking about a medical diagnosis in the field of psychiatry.

15. Feb 13, 2012 #14

chiro

Science Advisor

Thanks for that link Loren Booda.

I think by the time DSM-5 comes out I will need to see ten different doctors for ten different disorders. Thanks go to the medical community for making internet addiction a mental disorder or illness.

While we are at it, why not make being a gymn junkie an illness. Lets not stop there: why not make up an illness called 'reading addiction disorder'.

Might as well just look at every human activity and put "addiction" in front of it and throw it in the DSM-6.

Then maybe the drug companies can come out with a pill that "fixes" mild Indian-Curry and Gourmet-Thai-Cuisine addiction.

Absolutely unbelievable.

16. Feb 14, 2012 #15

chiro

Science Advisor

While I don't forget, here is another good characterization of the 'personality of the internet':

http://xkcd.com/386/

17. Feb 14, 2012 #16

Ryan_m_b

This makes no sense. Words have meanings and should be used correctly. If I said the internet's personality was like a cat but then said I wasn't using the taxonomical definition of cat and really meant dog would that be fair?

For the record I think schizophrenia is a good, and funny, way to classify the "internet's personality" but to use the term when you don't mean it is inappropriate.

18. Feb 14, 2012 #17

chiro

Science Advisor

The term schizophrenia does mean "split-mind" and if you look in the DSM you will find that actually making a diagnosis of the disease is not a trivial matter as it contains things that make it hard to differentiate against diagnoses of things like schizo-affective disorder.

Like I said, the word means split mind. Here is something for you since you brought it up both in your favor and in mine:

In my favor:

In yours:

But again for the record I already said above that I was not talking about it being in a medical context and if you want I can quote my own post above.

19. Feb 14, 2012 #18

Ryan_m_b

I still disagree that just because you use a disclaimer it is acceptable to use words for things that they don't mean. Using the etymological root of a word doesn't make sense, all that's going to happen is you will have to spend more time and words explaining what you mean.

20. Feb 14, 2012 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

People on the Internet are a lot braver than in person. They're also a lot more callous and arrogant.

Sometimes even more honest, but also more ridiculous lies, too.

21. Feb 14, 2012 #20

chiro

Science Advisor

Ryan, I will keep in mind your perspective for any future communications that we or other members on this board will have and I see where you are coming from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook