Clear definition of microgravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of microgravity, which is often described as reduced g but not zero g. The speaker is confused about how to determine if an object is in microgravity, as there is no clear definition. They mention the ISS having 20 µg left, but question if this is a wrong expression. They also question the accuracy of the term "microgravity" and its invention. The speaker is seeking a clear definition and source for microgravity.
Logerah
Hi,

I read about definition of microgravity. It is usually described as reduced g, but not zero g. How can one say then that an object is in microgravity? I was looking hours for a clear definition, like an object is in microgravity if there are just 10^-6g left (clearly wrong, because I read about the ISS has like 20 µg left, or is it just a wrong expression for ISS, because on ISS are too many µg's left?). I can't really imagine that microgravity is accurately defined. Was the term invented too early, so one couldn't detect how many g's are left and so they decided to define it just by "about no gravity"? If one found a definition, please give me the source...
(And that prefix seems quite useless for my thread...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Logerah said:
I was looking hours for a clear definition, like an object is in microgravity if there are just 10^-6g left
I don't think that there is a clear definition like that. I don't think that it is such a sharp cut off, just a general description.

What is microgravity?

Microgravity is the condition in which objects appear to be weightless. This occurs when an object is in a state of freefall, such as in orbit around a planet or in deep space. In this state, the gravitational force acting on the object is greatly reduced, resulting in a feeling of weightlessness.

How is microgravity different from zero gravity?

Zero gravity is a term that is often used interchangeably with microgravity, but technically, there is no such thing as zero gravity. In microgravity, the gravitational force is greatly reduced, but not completely absent. In true zero gravity, there would be no gravitational force acting on the object at all.

What causes microgravity?

Microgravity is caused by the constant freefall of an object. This can occur in a variety of settings, such as orbiting spacecraft, parabolic flights, or even in an elevator that is falling freely. In each of these situations, the gravitational force acting on the object is greatly reduced, resulting in a state of microgravity.

What are the effects of microgravity on the human body?

Extended exposure to microgravity can have various effects on the human body. These can include muscle atrophy, bone density loss, and changes in the cardiovascular and immune systems. Scientists are still studying the long-term effects of microgravity on human health.

How is microgravity studied and simulated on Earth?

Microgravity is studied through experiments conducted on spacecraft and in specialized facilities, such as drop towers and parabolic flight planes. On Earth, microgravity can be simulated by creating a state of freefall, such as in parabolic flights, or by using devices that counteract the effects of gravity, such as centrifuges and rotating platforms.