1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clebcsh Gordan Coefficients - QM

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    I'm looking at how a l j1,j2,jm> state can be operated on by the ladder operators, changing the value of m, and how this state can be expressed as a linear combination of l j1, j2, m1, m2> states.

Where the following relationships must be obeyed (x2):

m=m1+m2
    l j1-j2 l ≤ j ≤ j1+j2

So I'm looking at an example where we start with state j1=1/2 and j2=1/2.

From the above relations I know :

m1=m2=[itex]\pm[/itex]1/2
    j=j1+j2=1
    m=-1,0,0,1

I am in state l j1,j1,j,m> = l 1/2,1/2,1,1>.

I operate with L- to get:

l 1/2, 1/2, 1,0>

Now I want to express this in terms of l j1, j2, m1, m2> bases. So looking at the possible values of m1 and m2, I can see this can be produced by a linear combination of l j1, j2, m1, m2> = l 1/2,1/2,1/2,-1/2> , l 1/2,1/2,-1/2,1/2>

So I need to figure out the coefficients.

Now here is my question:

I have the relation: J[itex]\pm[/itex] l j1,j2,j,m> = (j(j+1)-m(m[itex]\pm[/itex]1))[itex]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] l j1,j2,j,m[itex]\pm[/itex]1>, *

Which would give the coefficients as [itex]\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}}[/itex]

So I dont understand where the coefficients come from : ([itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] is the solution).

I can see (i think ) that this makes sense from a normalization point of view. But then what happens to the coefficients attained from * ?

Many thanks for any assistance, greatly appreciated !

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2
    I'm afraid you are a little confused here. You are still in the [itex]|j_{1},j_{2}, j ,m \rangle[/itex] basis and not the [itex]|j_{1},j_{2}, m_{1} ,m_{2} \rangle[/itex] basis, so what you've got there is not the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient.

The correct way to derive the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients is to recognise that the state [itex]|j_{1},j_{2}, j ,m \rangle = |\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},1,1 \rangle [/itex] is equivalent to [itex]|j_{1},j_{2}, m_{1} ,m_{2} \rangle = |\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2} \rangle [/itex]. Now, you apply the lowering operator on this state. Give it a try, if you still need any help, I'll be happy to provide more details.

4. May 15, 2014 #3
    Okay thanks.
    So do you consider the lowering operator acting on m1 and m2 individually, so effectively defining two different ladder operators - one for the '1 space' (L[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex])and (L[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex]) for the '2 space'

If we then operate on l 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2 > in turn with (L[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex])and (L[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex])

we get L[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]_{-}[/itex] = l 1/2, 1/2, -1/2, 1/2 >

and L[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]_{-}[/itex]= l 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, -1/2 >

So this gives a coefficient of 1 for both
    Would this be along the right lines?

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  5. May 15, 2014 #4
    Yup! The trick is to consider the total lowering operator, which is just the sum of the lowering operators on each subspace. So we have:
    [tex]\ell^{-} \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, 1, 1 \right\rangle = \ell^{-}_{1} \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \right\rangle + \ell^{-}_{2} \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \right\rangle[/tex]
    where the LHS is in the [itex]\left|j_{1}, j_{2}, j, m \right\rangle[/itex] basis and the RHS in the [itex]\left|j_{1}, j_{2}, m_{1}, m_{2} \right\rangle[/itex] basis.

6. May 15, 2014 #5
    Ok thanks. and the coefficients are 1, so does (1/2)^1/2 come from normalization?

7. May 16, 2014 #6
    No, there is no need for an additional step. The factor that you are looking for comes out naturally from the expression that i wrote. If you compute it explicitly, it yields
    [tex]\sqrt{2}\left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, 1, 0 \right\rangle = \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, -\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \right\rangle + \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, -\frac{1}{2} \right\rangle[/tex]
    Move the factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] to the RHS and it yields you exactly what you want.

8. May 17, 2014 #7
    ah. thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted