1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clockwise or counterclockwise rotation about a fulcrum

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The diagram shows a uniform plank of length 5m and weight 225N that rests horizontally on two supports, with 1.1 m hanging over the right support. To what distance x can a person who weighs 450 N walk on the overhanging part of the plank before it just begins to tip?

l-x-l

\0/
    l
    /\

2. Relevant equations
    T=Fl
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex] T = 0
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex] F = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Take upward direction as positive and clockwise direction of motion as positive
    Name the leftmost fulcrum L and the right fulcrum R
    Fy = FL + FR - FWplank - FWPerson
    Fy = 0
    Thus FL + FR - 225N - 450 N = 0
    Thus FL = 675N - + FR

This is where I get stuck. My equation kept boiling down to rubbish and when I checked the web for a solution, I found out I need to make the torque produced by Force L a negative number with respect to fulcrum R. However, won't the upward force of L produce a clockwise rotation? The rotation at R caused by force L is the only place that I seem to be messing up as other equations are exactly as the memo indicated. But I have taken clockwise to be positive (as the memo also indicated) and yet the memo says that my torque at L is negative.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2
    Sorry-one correction- FL=675N - FR

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook