The Indiscrete Topology is Pseudometrizable ... Willard, Example 3.2(d)

In summary, the author is explaining how the topology generated by the trivial pseudometric on a space is the same as the topology generated by the open balls of the metric. He is also asking for help in understanding an example.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I need help in order to make sense of an Example of Stephen Willard's on the trivial topology and the trivial pseudometric ... I find the example confusing ...
I am reading Stephen Willard: General Topology ... ... and am currently focused on Chapter 1: Set Theory and Metric Spaces and am currently focused on Section 2: Metric Spaces ... ...

I need help in order to fully understand Example 3.2(d) ... .. Example 3.2(d) reads as follows:
Willard - Example 3.2 (d) ... .png
and Example 2.7(e) reads as follows:
Willard - Example 2.7 (e) ... .png
In Example 3.2(d) we read the following:

" ... It is pseudometrizable since it is the topology generated by the trivial pseudometric on X, by part (e) of Example 2.7. ... ... "I am somewhat lost by this example ...

Can someone please demonstrate that (X, ##\tau## ) is the topology generated by the trivial pseudometric on X ... and explain the relation to part (e) of Example 2.7. ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you remind us of the meaning of "Pseudometrizable" and "Pseudo metric"?

Hello Peter. Good to hear from you. Hope you're managing OK in the current difficult times.

The trivial pseudometric on a space is the one that says the distance between any two points is zero. It is 'pseudo' because a real metric requires a nonzero distance between any distinct points.

The topology generated by a metric is the one generated by the open balls of the metric. An open ball centred on P with radius r is the set of all points with distance less than r from P. Under the trivial pseudometric, for any point P, all points in the space are in every open ball of nonzero radius, because they are all distance zero away!
So the only open balls are the empty set (r=0, P anywhere ) and the universal set (r>0, P anywhere). The topology generated by those two is the trivial topology that consists of just those two open sets.

I don't think I agree with (e) that one-point sets are closed. Consider where X = {1, 2}. Under the trivial topology, the open sets are {} and {1, 2}. The closed sets are the complements of those, which are {1, 2} and {}. As you can see, neither of the one-point sets {1} or {2} is open or closed. In the discrete topology - the maximal topology that is in some sense the opposite of the indiscrete/trivial topology - one-point sets are closed, as well as open ("clopen"). That's because the topology is defined by every one-point set being open, and every one-point set is the complement of the union of all the other points. That union is open, so the one-point set is closed.

andrewkirk said:
I don't think I agree with (e) that one-point sets are closed. Consider where X = {1, 2}. Under the trivial topology, the open sets are {} and {1, 2}. The closed sets are the complements of those, which are {1, 2} and {}. As you can see, neither of the one-point sets {1} or {2} is open or closed. In the discrete topology - the maximal topology that is in some sense the opposite of the indiscrete/trivial topology - one-point sets are closed, as well as open ("clopen"). That's because the topology is defined by every one-point set being open, and every one-point set is the complement of the union of all the other points. That union is open, so the one-point set is closed.

I agree with this. In general in any space with 2 or more poinys that has the indiscrete topology (thus only nothing and everything are open sets), no singelton is closed.

andrewkirk said:
Hi Andrew ...

I am fine, thanks ... hope that you are well also ...

Thanks for clarifying the issue ... especially the point of Example 2.7(e) ... that is the part that confused me ...

Peter

Math_QED said:
I agree with this. In general in any space with 2 or more poinys that has the indiscrete topology (thus only nothing and everything are open sets), no singelton is closed.

Thanks Math_QED ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

What is the Indiscrete Topology?

The Indiscrete Topology is a type of topology, or way of defining open sets, on a set X. In the Indiscrete Topology, the only open sets are the empty set and the entire set X.

What does it mean for a topology to be pseudometrizable?

A topology is pseudometrizable if it can be induced by a pseudometric, which is a function that satisfies certain properties similar to a metric but does not necessarily satisfy the triangle inequality. In other words, a pseudometrizable topology is one that can be defined using a weaker version of a metric.

What is Example 3.2(d) in Willard's book?

Example 3.2(d) in Willard's book refers to a specific example given in the book to illustrate a pseudometrizable topology. In this example, the topology on a set X is induced by a pseudometric that assigns a distance of 0 to all points in X.

How is the Indiscrete Topology related to Example 3.2(d) in Willard's book?

The Indiscrete Topology is a specific case of Example 3.2(d) in Willard's book. This is because the Indiscrete Topology can be induced by a pseudometric that assigns a distance of 0 to all points in X, which is the same pseudometric used in Example 3.2(d).

Why is the Indiscrete Topology important in topology?

The Indiscrete Topology may seem trivial, but it is an important concept in topology because it serves as a counterexample to many theorems and properties. It also helps to illustrate the differences between different types of topologies, such as metrizable and pseudometrizable topologies.