Clustering Phenomena In Nuclear Systems

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of clustering phenomena in nuclear systems. The speaker wishes to learn about the current research in this area and starts by providing historical perspectives from respected journals. They mention that there has been evidence of nucleon cluster structures for over 65 years, before and after the quark hypothesis. They also mention John Wheeler's concept of "resonating group structures" and ask if anyone applies quark theory to it. The speaker then provides a list of sources discussing nucleon clustering, including a quote about microscopic calculations and a recent study on trinucleon cluster structures. They end by expressing disappointment at not receiving any responses and wondering if anyone working in experimental physics of nucleon clusters reads the forum.
Rade
I would like to start a thread on this topic--clustering phenomena in nuclear systems. I wish to learn the status of current research in this area. Let me start with a few historical perspectives, from journals well respected--cited below. What we find is a now 65 + year unbroken evidence of nucleon cluster structures within isotopes, both before and well after quark hypothesis appeared in mid 1960s. Now perhaps these nucleon cluster structures reported below derive from quark dynamics--this is the thread discussion I wish to start. For example, who today applies quark theory to John Wheeler concept of "resonating group structures" ? If not, why not ?

J. A. Wheeler. 1937. Phys. Rev. 52, 1083 & 1107 --- (On the mathematical description of light nuclei by the method of resonating group structures, & Molecular viewpoints in nuclear structure).

Tombrello, T. A., Phillips, G. C. 1961. Phys. Rev. 122, 224 (Cluster Nature of Li-7 and Be-7).

Neudatchin & Smimov. 1969. Progress in Physics, Vol. 10 (Evidence for nucleon clusters in the lightest nuclei of the 1p-shell from data on reactions at high energies).

Pauling, L & Robinson, A. B. 1975. Can. J. Phys. 53, 1953 (Rotating clusters in nuclei)

Nishioka, J. 1984. J. Phys. G:Nucl. Phys. 10, 1713 (Two alpha particle plus dinucleon cluster model for B-10 and Be-10)

Pauling, L. 1991. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 88, 820 (Transition from one revolving cluster to two revolving clusters in the ground-state rotational bands of nuclei in the lanthanon nuclei).

Pieper, S & R. Wiringa. 2001. Annu. Rev. Nucl. Part. Sci. 51, 53 (Quantum monte carlo calculations of light nuclei)--here is a quote "microscopic calculations...can be explained starting from elementary two-and three-nucleon interactions".

Akimune, et al. 2004. Physics of Atomic Nuclei, 67, 1721 (Trinucleon cluster structure at high-excitation energies in A = 6 nuclei).

Physics news on Phys.org
I move this topic back into potential discussion given I received zero hits first time around--no one that reads this forum works in area of experimental physics of nucleon clusters ?

It is clear from the cited articles that there has been a long-standing interest in the clustering phenomena in nuclear systems. The evidence for nucleon cluster structures within isotopes, both before and after the introduction of the quark hypothesis, raises interesting questions about the relationship between these two concepts.

I am particularly intrigued by the suggestion to apply quark theory to John Wheeler's concept of "resonating group structures." This seems like a promising avenue for further research and could potentially provide new insights into the nature of nucleon clusters in nuclear systems. I am curious to hear from others who may have explored this idea or have thoughts on its potential.

It is also interesting to note that some of the cited articles date back to the 1960s and earlier, indicating that this is not a new area of study. However, as evidenced by the more recent article from 2004, there is still ongoing research in this field and new discoveries being made.

The quote from Pieper and Wiringa's 2001 article is particularly compelling, as it suggests that the clustering phenomena can be explained starting from elementary two-and three-nucleon interactions. This highlights the importance of understanding the fundamental building blocks of nuclear systems and how they interact to form these clusters.

I look forward to hearing more from others on this topic and learning about the current state of research in the field of clustering phenomena in nuclear systems.

1. What is clustering phenomena in nuclear systems?

Clustering phenomena in nuclear systems refers to the formation of clusters or groups of nucleons (protons and neutrons) within the nucleus of an atom. These clusters can be stable or unstable, and their presence can greatly affect the properties and behavior of the nucleus.

2. How do these clusters form?

The formation of clusters in nuclear systems is a result of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleons together in the nucleus. This force is strongest at short distances, leading to the formation of clusters within the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of clustering phenomena in nuclear systems?

Clustering phenomena can provide valuable insights into the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. It can help us understand the forces that hold nucleons together and the factors that contribute to the stability of a nucleus.

4. Are there different types of clustering phenomena in nuclear systems?

Yes, there are various types of clustering phenomena in nuclear systems, such as alpha clustering, which involves the formation of alpha particles within the nucleus, and deuteron clustering, which involves the grouping of protons and neutrons into deuterons.

5. How is the study of clustering phenomena in nuclear systems relevant in other fields of science?

The study of clustering phenomena in nuclear systems can have implications in other fields of science, such as astrophysics and nuclear engineering. Understanding the formation and stability of clusters in nuclei can help us better understand the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in stars and during nuclear reactions.