1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CMOS Current in triode region equation

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Q. I was given a equation for PMOS and NMOS drain current in triode region but I am having some confusion regarding equation please do help.

I think drain to source current in PMOS should be negative but in equation value will come out to be positive if I keep V(gs)
    ,V(ds) as negative .
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about mathematical polarities.

You know that an NMOS requires the gate to be more positive than the source by at least the threshold voltage Vth, and the drain more positive than the source, and you know the current runs from drain to source.

Similarly, you know that the gate of a PMOS has to be more negative than the source by Vth, and the drain more negative than the source, and that the current runs from source to drain.

That's all you need to know. Spec sheets can be obfuscative if you lend too much credulity to signs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted