CMOS Regions of Operation Problem

• Thread starter tsaitea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmos
In summary, M1 is triode region b/c the drain and drain source voltage is 0 which will always be less than the output voltage. However, I am having troubles finding M2's region of operation, VDS >= VGS - VTH. Vout - Vbias >= Vdd - Vbias - VTH
tsaitea
In the attached photo, I found M2 to be triode region b/c the drain and drain source voltage is 0 which will always be less than the output voltage.

However, I am have troubles finding M1's region of operation, VDS >= VGS - VTH.
Vout - Vbias >= Vdd - Vbias - VTH **Vbias = 0.8 V , VTH = 0.5 V.

Vout >= Vdd - VTH

Im at this point now b/c Vout may vary.

Attachments

• 20130307_172920.jpg
    20130307_172920.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
For the moment assume Vin(t) = 0.

For the Fet to be on the gate voltage must be more than Vth below the source. In other words Vbias > Vdd+Vth.

You have not stated your problem.

M2 has no effect whatsoever on the output voltage unless the gate breakdown voltages are exceeded.

CWatters said:
For the moment assume Vin(t) = 0.

For the Fet to be on the gate voltage must be more than Vth below the source. In other words Vbias > Vdd+Vth.

So assuming Vin = 0, for the FET to be on VGS > VTH.

Where VG = VDD and VS = Vbias therefore,

VDD - Vbias > VTH

Vbias < VDD-VTH

I don't quite see where you got Vbias > Vdd + Vth from :confused:

rude man said:
You have not stated your problem.

M2 has no effect whatsoever on the output voltage unless the gate breakdown voltages are exceeded.

Right so for M2 Vout > Vth ,

For triode,

VDS2 < VGS2 - Vth
0 < Vout - Vth and since Vout > Vth,
M2 will be in triode.

tsaitea said:
So assuming Vin = 0, for the FET to be on VGS > VTH.

Where VG = VDD and VS = Vbias therefore,

VDD - Vbias > VTH

Vbias < VDD-VTH

I don't quite see where you got Vbias > Vdd + Vth from :confused:

M1 is a P type FET. So if I remember correctly the gate (VDD) has to be below the drain/source for it to be ON. Therefore Vbias must be > Gate + Vth.

M2 appears to be configured as a capacitor.

CWatters said:
M1 is a P type FET.

I don't think so. It's an N type.

The more conventional symbol for an N type is an arrow pointing into the substrate, but the alternative symbol is the source pointing away from the device, with no subtrate indicated.

Darn it you are right. I should have looked more carefully.

CWatters said:
Darn it you are right. I should have looked more carefully.

Well, without actual values for the bias and ac inputs the whole business is unsolvable anyway ...

1. What is the CMOS regions of operation problem?

The CMOS regions of operation problem refers to the issue of accurately predicting the behavior of a CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) device in different operating regions, such as the linear, saturation, and cutoff regions. This problem arises due to the complex interactions between the different components of a CMOS device, including the MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) and the parasitic components.

2. Why is the CMOS regions of operation problem important?

The accurate prediction of the different regions of operation is crucial for designing and optimizing CMOS devices for various applications. It allows for more efficient use of resources and can help improve the performance and reliability of electronic systems. Additionally, understanding the CMOS regions of operation problem can aid in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues with CMOS devices.

3. What factors contribute to the CMOS regions of operation problem?

Several factors contribute to the CMOS regions of operation problem, including process variations, temperature effects, device aging, and layout-dependent effects. These factors can affect the electrical characteristics of a CMOS device, leading to deviations from the expected behavior in different operating regions.

4. How is the CMOS regions of operation problem addressed?

The CMOS regions of operation problem is addressed through a combination of accurate modeling, simulation, and characterization techniques. This includes using advanced simulation tools, incorporating process variations and temperature effects in the models, and performing thorough testing and characterization of devices under different operating conditions.

5. What are the current challenges in addressing the CMOS regions of operation problem?

One of the main challenges in addressing the CMOS regions of operation problem is the increasing complexity and variability of CMOS devices, which makes accurate modeling and simulation more challenging. Additionally, the continuous scaling of CMOS technology has led to new phenomena and effects that need to be considered, further complicating the problem. Therefore, ongoing research and development efforts are necessary to overcome these challenges and improve the understanding and prediction of CMOS device behavior in different operating regions.