Coaxial cable and Potential between

In summary, the conversation discusses a setup with DC going through a coaxial cable with two dielectrics between the inner and outer conductors. The E fields of the dielectrics are calculated using their D-vectors, and the potential between them is described by the equation V = V_1 + V_2. The conversation also mentions a surface charge density between the dielectrics at a certain distance.
Bugge
Hello. I have DC going through a coaxial cable, and I have calculated the E fields of the two dielectrics in between to be [itex]E_1[/itex] and [itex]E_2[/itex] with help of their [itex]D[/itex]-vectors. The dielectrics are cylindrically shaped like the conductors. As in, one is in contact with the inner conductor, and one is in contact with the outer.

Both fields vary by the distance [itex]r[/itex] through the [itex]D[/itex]-fields,

[tex]a < r < c[/tex]
[tex]c < r < b[/tex]
Where [itex]a[/itex] is the inner conductor radius and [itex]b[/itex] is the outer conductor radius, and [itex]c[/itex] is inbetween the dielectrics.

Now I am not sure how to determine the potential. between them. Considering the different E-fields, how is,
[tex]V(r) = \int_b^a E d \mathcal{l}[/tex]
expressed in my case? Would it be similar to
[tex]\int_a^b (E_2 - E_1) dr = \int_a^b E_2 dr - \int_a^b E_1 dr[/tex]I know the [itex]E_n[/itex]-fields, and [itex]J_n[/itex]- and [itex]D_n[/itex]-vectors of the dielectrics. I also know the [itex]\sigma_n[/itex] of each of the dielectrics and the surface charge density of the inner ([itex]\rho_si[/itex]) conductor and there is also a [itex]\rho_sc[/itex] between the dielectrics at distance [itex]c[/itex].

I'd appreciate any help, thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bugge said:
Hello. I have DC going through a coaxial cable, and I have calculated the E fields of the two dielectrics in between to be E 1 E_1 and E 2 E_2 with help of their D D-vectors. The dielectrics are cylindrically shaped like the conductors. As in, one is in contact with the inner conductor, and one is in contact with the outer.

Hi there
Im really tying to make sense of your cable makeup ?
I don't get your 2 dielectrics ... are both dielectrics between the inner and outer conductors ?
are these 2 dielectrics the same material ?
what separates the dielectrics ?
whatever it is must by definition be considered another (3rd) dielectric

draw a detailed diagram

Dave

I could imagine it is not very descriptive, sorry. I found a link with a similar setup. The only difference is that there is a surface charge density [itex]\rho_{s,c}[/itex] in between the dielectrics at radius c (Nothing else is known of the boundary at radius c),
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/mjg17/teach/1AElectromag/coax.html

And I think the above link also answered my question (How is the potential found when there are two dielectrics in a coaxial cable).
The potential [itex]V[/itex] between the conductors are, as I can see, a sum of the potentials from the start to end of each dielectric boundary,

[tex]V = V_1 + V_2 = \int_a^c E_1 dl + \int_c^b E_2 dl[/tex]So you will have two integrals to sum up. I originally thought it would be the difference between the potentials, but summing them up do make sense to me physically.

Last edited:
Likes davenn

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable that is used for transmitting high-frequency signals. It consists of a copper conductor, surrounded by a layer of insulation, a metallic shield, and an outer jacket. The design of a coaxial cable allows for efficient transmission of signals without interference from external sources.

2. How does a coaxial cable work?

A coaxial cable works by sending electrical signals through the inner copper conductor. The outer metallic shield acts as a barrier, preventing any external interference from disrupting the signal. The insulation layer helps to maintain the integrity of the signal by minimizing any loss of energy. This design allows for the transmission of high-frequency signals over long distances without significant loss.

3. What is the potential difference between the inner and outer conductors of a coaxial cable?

The potential difference between the inner and outer conductors of a coaxial cable is known as the voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR). It is a measure of how well the cable is matched to the source of the signal. A high VSWR can result in signal loss and poor transmission quality, while a low VSWR indicates efficient signal transmission.

4. How is the potential between the inner and outer conductors of a coaxial cable maintained?

The potential between the inner and outer conductors of a coaxial cable is maintained by the dielectric material that separates them. This material, usually made of plastic or foam, has a high insulating property, which prevents the flow of current between the two conductors. This allows for a stable and reliable transmission of signals through the cable.

5. What are the different types of coaxial cables and their potential differences?

There are various types of coaxial cables, each with different potential differences. The most commonly used types are RG-6, RG-11, and RG-59, with potential differences of 75 ohms, 50 ohms, and 75 ohms respectively. The potential difference is determined by the design and materials used in the cable, and it is essential to use the correct type of cable for specific applications to ensure optimal signal transmission.