1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coaxial cable with unequal currents

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just have a question concerning an unbalanced coaxial cable. By unbalanced, I mean that the inner and outer currents are not equal magnitudes of the opposite direction of each other. My homework problem has an inner current of +100[mA] and an outer current of 90[mA] in the opposite direction. My question is regarding the form of the answer.

2. Relevant equations
    Cylindrically symmetric current distribution - able to use Ampere's Law here!
    Bdl = μo*Ienc

3. The attempt at a solution
    Implementing the cylindrically symmetric current distribution, the left side of the equation ends up being:
    2∏ρ*BФ(ρ) = ...
    However, the right side of the equation is where I am having trouble. Would the enclosed current be equal to +10[mA] (100-90[mA]), or something else? An enclosed current of 10[mA] to me makes sense, because if I were an observer looking at the cable, I would only see a magnetic field rotating in the phi-direction, with a current of 10[mA] flowing up the z-axis. I appreciate all help in advance! Thank you much!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    You are correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook