Coaxial cables and displacement current

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a coaxial cable has an electric current flowing through its inner core and inverse current on its surface. The question is whether outside the cable, there will be zero current and displacement effects in the magnetic field. The OP clarifies that by "effects" they mean the magnetic field generated by the cable and asks if the varying current will result in a zero magnetic field outside the cable.
DaTario
Hi All,

Consider a situation in which a coaxial cable have electric current i(t) = Imax * cos(w*t) flowing through its cilindrical inner cylindrical core (with radius a) and the inverse current flowing on its surface cover (with radius b).
I would like to know if it is correct to say that, outside de cable (r > b), we will see not only zero current effects (due to obvious cancelation) but also zero displacement current effects.

I hope my explanation could have achieved the necessary clarity.

Best wishes,

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org
By "effects"in the OP I mean effects in the magnetic field B generated by the cable. In other word my question is:
with current i varying in time, the magnetic field produced by the cable outside it is zero?

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of transmission line that is used for carrying high-frequency electrical signals. It consists of a central conductor, which is usually a copper wire, surrounded by an insulating layer, a braided metal shield, and an outer cover. This design helps to minimize signal interference and loss.

2. How does a coaxial cable work?

A coaxial cable works by carrying electrical signals between two points. The central conductor carries the signal, while the outer metal shield acts as a ground and helps to protect the signal from outside interference. The insulating layer between the conductor and the shield helps to maintain the integrity of the signal by preventing them from coming into contact with each other.

3. What is displacement current in a coaxial cable?

Displacement current is an important concept in electromagnetism that describes the flow of electric current through a capacitor or in a changing electric field. In a coaxial cable, displacement current occurs between the central conductor and the outer shield, and it is an essential part of how the cable carries signals.

4. How is displacement current different from conduction current?

Displacement current and conduction current are two types of electric current. The main difference between them is that displacement current occurs in the absence of a physical flow of charge, while conduction current is the movement of electric charge through a conductor. In a coaxial cable, displacement current occurs between the central conductor and the outer shield, while conduction current flows through the central conductor.

5. What are the applications of coaxial cables?

Coaxial cables have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in television and internet connections, as well as in telecommunications, radio frequency transmission, and computer networking. They are also used in medical equipment, aerospace technology, and military communications.